Chemist / Construction Materials
WJE’s headquarters office and the Janney Technical Center (JTC) laboratory complex near Chicago offers the most advanced structural and materials testing facilities and equipment for construction investigations and research. Integrating science with engineering is a key differential in WJE’s ability to provide sound solutions for problems in the built world.
The Janney Technical Center is staffed with a multi disciplinary team of 20 professionals with expertise in engineering, chemistry, petrography, and materials science. The JTC is able to provide reliable answers to questions about architectural systems, structural components, and construction materials. They work on a mix of building envelope and structural evaluations, repairs, and litigation support. Work is typically located throughout the US.
The Associate Principal Chemist has full responsibility as a Project Manager including; development and maintenance of client relationships, management of project teams, and responsibility for all client deliverables . At the Associate Principal level the employee should be a well-rounded professional that successfully leads project teams, contributes to the company, is able to solve complex construction materials issues, and is an expert in concrete chemistry and one or more of the practice areas of WJE. The employee should be active in industry organizations, serve on technical committees, and author papers in their area of expertise while developing industry recognition as an expert. The Associate Principal contributes to WJE through mentoring of junior staff, participation in office and company development initiatives, participation with the in-house Technical Resource Groups, and business development. The Associate Principal is expected to be entrepreneurial in developing their own client base, have well-rounded technical expertise, and be able to provide sound solutions to client’s materials problems. This is an ownership position.
- Serves as a Project Manager and primary client contact
- Develops scope of services and prepares proposals
- Assembles appropriate project team
- Manages project team and oversees work
- Invoices client and follows up on outstanding accounts
- Interfaces with and builds client relationships
- Attracts new and repeat business
- Plans and mobilizes for site inspection/investigation
- Recommends repair materials and methods and assist in developing of project specifcations
- Prepares bid documents, addenda, change orders, draft investigation reports, and other work product
- Conducts on-site inspection/investigation including survey and documentation of distress, complete field testing, remove samples, take photographs, make sketches etc.
- Conducts on-site observations of work in progress
- Analyzes research and investigation data and develops methods for solving problems
- Monitors and/or conducts laboratory testing
- Completes durability analysis of wood, steel or concrete structural systems
- Attends field meetings and prepares site observation reports
- Participates in professional organizations, authors papers, attends conferences and performs work on technical committees
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in Chemistry or Materials Science
- 15 years of relevant experience and expertise in cement, concrete and other construction materials .
- Expertise and knowledge of FTIR, XRD, AA, UV-VIS, microscopy (optical and SEM/EDS), wet chemistry, physical testing, accelerated weathering, durability testing, polymer chemistry, coating technology, corrosion mechanisms
- Excellent customer service
- Excellent skills with English oral communication skills and written report development
- Prior publication experience
- Professional society participation and a technical thirst
- Experience managing projects
- Ability to work in the field
- Ability to travel outside local area, depending on local work load and project locations
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates - 19 months ago