This is a Term Appointment not-to-exceed (NTE) 13 months. The Agency has the option to extend the appointment up to the 4-year limit. Individuals considering sabbatical opportunities/appointments are encouraged to apply.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is the United States Government's official foreign assistance and development organization with a current program budget in excess of $7 billion, operating in more than 70 countries with assistance provided to over 120 countries.
This position is a scientific/technical (ST) position. This position is in the competitive service and is not graded. ST pay is commensurate with qualifications. ST employees are eligible for bonuses and awards based on performance.
Veteran's preference is not applicable to ST positions.
USAID is an independent Federal Government agency that receives overall foreign policy guidance from the Secretary of State. With headquarters in Washington, D.C., USAID fosters transformational development around the world. Our work supports economic growth and trade; agriculture and the environment; education and training; democracy and governance; global health; global partnerships and humanitarian assistance in less developed countries and countries that are experiencing or emerging from conflict. We operate in five regions of the world: Sub-Saharan Africa; Asia; the Middle East; Latin America and the Caribbean; and Europe and Eurasia.
The Chief Economist position is located in the front office of USAID Bureau for Economic Growth, Education & Environment (E3) and will report to E3's Assistant Administrator.
Occasional travel may be required, both domestic and international.
USAID employees in the Civil Service and Foreign Service, as well as individuals employed through Personal Service Contracts, must adhere to our counter Trafficking in Persons Code of Conduct. For information on the effort to counter all forms of human trafficking, including the procurement of commercial sex acts and the use of forced labor, visit http://www.state.gov/g/tip . For more information about USAID, visit http://www.usaid.gov
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- US Citizenship required
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance
- May be required to serve a one-year trial period
- Suitability for Federal employment determined by background investigation
- Travel and Relocation expenses will not be paid
- Serve as a recognized authority, expert, and leader in advanced economic analysis.
- Consult with Bureau for Policy, Planning & Learning (PPL) on key macroeconomic, sectorial, or microeconomic issues that arise in development and implementation of agency strategies, policies, analytic tools and practices.
- Elevate the profile of and advocate the incorporation of rigorous economic analysis into project design, implementation, and evaluation.
- Ensure quality control for key USAID economic analysis products.
- Work with E3 senior economists to foster a culture of technical mentorship.
- Represent USAID at conferences and events, domestically and internationally
- Cultivate linkages with and outreach to economic research and analysis units at other federal government agencies, other donors, and academic institutions on development economics topics.
Applicants must demonstrate that they meet all of the qualifications listed below:
Basic Requirement: A degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus OR a combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in economics (as shown above), plus appropriate experience or additional education. (Must submit college transcripts to verify that you have met this requirement)
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Your resume must demonstrate such experience and you will be required to address narratives within the assessment section of this job announcement. Work experience should be in or directly related to the work of the position:
1. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subject matter specialists from multiple disciplines in the development of new theoretical concepts or syntheses leading to new technical approaches in development economics.
2. Ability to serve as an effective spokesperson for the organization, both nationally and internationally.
3. Advanced knowledge in the field of development economics as evidenced by research and recognition as an expert in the national and international research community.
4. High degree of professional competence and stature in the profession as indicated by publications in peer reviewed literature which advances knowledge in the field; memberships and activity in professional and scientific societies; honors, awards, and other recognition and leadership in national and international scientific communities.
5. Demonstrated high degree of skill, originality, and initiative in the testing and application of development economics theories, concepts and principles.
Responses should summarize the applicant's experience in relation to the technical qualifications (as stated above)and describe specific examples of accomplishments. Examples should be clear, concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with result of your actions, policy initiative, and level of contact. For each competency, you must describe an accomplishment which should include the following information:
· Situation - a general statement of the situation or circumstances surrounding what you accomplished/achieved.
· Actions - a precise description of exactly what you did (activities you performed, duties, and responsibilities.
· Outcomes - a description of the outcomes (the direct or indirect results or long-term impact of your accomplishment).
· The start and end dates of the time period during which the activities were performed.
PLEA SE NOTE: Applicants who do not demonstrate that they meet the Technical Qualifications are eliminated from further consideration.
If education is a basic requirement or you are qualifying all or in part based on your education , you must submit transcripts (official or unofficial). Failure to submit transcripts may result in an ineligible rating.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education .
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a preliminary review of your application package will be made to determine if you are qualified for this position. Only candidates meeting all of the mandatory technical qualifications will be deemed eligible for further consideration. In determining the degree to which candidates possess the required or desired knowledge, skills, and abilities, the rating panel will consider related experience, education, training, awards, assessments and appraisals, and professional references. Typically, candidates for ST positions are expected to have a graduate degree, significant research experience, and a national or international reputation in his/her field.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omission may affect your rating.
Working for the USAID offers a comprehensive benefits package. Information on SES benefits can be found at: http://www.opm.gov/ses/performance/benefits.asp
This position may be eligible for telework, in accordance with Agency policy.
usajobs.gov - 7 months ago