The Chief Underwriter will be responsible for providing leadership, mentoring and oversight for all commercial financial quoting to customers, including new business group health quoting and renewals, and will have input in the strategic development of the product portfolio design, pricing strategies, financial planning, and reserve strategy. This individual will be responsible and accountable for the success of developing underwriting strategies and executing against plans that support organizational objectives and long-range plans to achieve growth and financial profitability.
The Chief Underwriter will directly manage, mentor, and lead a team of underwriters and support staff. Responsibilities include but are not limited to effectively interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and counseling employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Develop financial renewals for group employers for commercial and Medicare markets using a variety of financial arrangements including: community rating, modified community rating, adjusted experience rating, experience rating, self-funded and stop loss arrangements. Renewals must ensure that Priority Health remains competitive in the marketplace while providing income and membership in accordance with organization goals and financial objectives.
• Price products consistent with Priority Health’s financial and membership growth objectives. Generate new business quotes that are competitive in the marketplace while supporting achieving the Corporation’s financial and membership goals. Provide analyses and projections, financial management, and case level underwriting of risk business to achieve targeted operating income and membership. Balance growth and profitability goals to attain maximum results.
• Assist and participate in negotiations and sales presentations with customers, when appropriate and as requested.
• Support product development, including origination and evaluation of new product ideas, and pricing and maintenance of existing products.
• Meet with key brokers to assess market trends, develop strategic focus, and adjust market goals as necessary. Provide assumptions and data to financial accounting and tax units for projecting future results on product lines.
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Sales and Product Development and actively contribute to maintenance of large payer groups and employer customers.
• Lead, develop, coach and evolve the Underwriting Department team, including focus on continuous improvement processes, while expanding the Underwriters’ knowledge of experience-rated group pricing methodologies and other risk analysis tools.
Education - Bachelor's Degree
Experience - 7 years of experience management experience and demonstrated successful leadership of a team,7 years of experience commercial underwriting experience in the health insurance industry
Education - Master's Degree in Business, Accounting or related area
Experience - 7 years of experience Thorough knowledge of risk factors that influence market and competitive conditions. Ability to conduct complex financial analyses and develop ideas for continuous improvement. Ability to justify and explain new business and renewal rate increases to sales, and group customers, etc. Ability to develop and implement process improvement initiatives across all functional underwriting areas.
Nearest Major Market: Grand Rapids