Summary of Position : Uses public policy advocacy, research and writing to promote reform of the educational and juvenile justice systems in Florida.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting legal, social science, and factual research, including public records requests, data analysis and interviews, related to juvenile justice and education;
- Producing sourced written materials, such as fact sheets and other documents, that will assist with SPLC's Children at Risk work;
- Developing relationships with community-based organizations, state and federal agencies, and other groups involved in policies affecting children's rights;
- Conducting public informational meetings; and
- Performing administrative tasks, such as organizing research materials and contacts, to support the policy work of the office.
The Southern Poverty Law Center is seeking to fill this position immediately. Please send your resume, cover letter and three references to: https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=6190761
- Has obtained a college degree;
- Has initiative, vision, and a strong commitment to the struggle for social justice;
- Has an ability to research, review and analyze data sets;
- Has strong writing and communication skills, including the ability to summarize academic research, fiscal analyses, and legislation;
- Has strong investigative and interview skills, including a willingness to conduct interviews and public meetings and to track down relevant records and witnesses;
- Possesses a non-hierarchical, client-centered approach to advocacy, and experience working with and for low-income communities;
- Is a creative self-starter;
- Is a team player; and
- Works efficiently and meets deadlines.
Due to the high volume of applications received by the Center, the legal department is unable to respond to inquiries by telephone.
The Southern Poverty Law Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, or status with regard to public assistance.
The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is a nationally known non-profit organization that combats hate, intolerance, and discrimination....