Position Type: Full-Time
Issues and receives library materials by performing the following duties; processes de-accessioned materials; assists with interlibrary loan.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Charges materials in and out of the library using the library’s automated circulation system.
- Inspects returned books for damage, verifies due date and computer and receives overdue fines.
- Performs searches of the circulation, patron and bibliographic databases, as necessary.
- Distributes reserved and special reference resources.
- Distributes computer printouts.
- Sorts books, publications, and other items according to classification code in preparation for return to shelves, files or other designated storage area.
- Issues borrower’s identification card according to established procedures. Answers inquiries specific to the circulation desk on the telephone and in person and refers persons requiring professional assistance to a librarian.
- Reshelf books
- Opens and closes the building according to procedure.
- Under supervision of the Library Director may process materials for discard, including deleting records from the accession books and shelf list; maintaining the library book sale cart.
- Some weekends and evenings may be required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma, college degree preferred; minimum of one year's experience in a library performing bibliographic and item record maintenance;
Ability to type at a minimum of 35 wpm and to use a personal computer to enter and retrieve data. Ability to use office procedures to organize work flow. High attention to detail. F amiliarity with OCLC; some familiarity with computers.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to interact effectively and professionally with others.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Gwynedd-Mercy College - 19 months ago