Union Pacific Railroad is the largest, most successful and innovative transportation company in North America. UPRR operates in 23 states over the western two-thirds of the nation. Successful applicants can look forward to a challenging career as a member of our team. New members of the Claims group (part of the Law Department) typically begin their careers as Claim Representative Trainees. Following a six-month to one- year training program, Claim Representatives are assigned to a territory with moderate types of claims. Relocation is likely.
This position will be filled at either Claim Representative Trainee, band A or Claim Representative, band B, depending on experience. The intention is to assign the trainee to a permanent position in North Platte area. The position reports to Mary Broad, Director Claims.
Successful candidate is subject to being on call and must be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Preference will be given to candidates with bilingual (Spanish speaking) skills.
- The Claim Representative Trainee will gain experience in investigation, direct handling of Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA) cases, conflict management, medical management, vocational rehabilitation, evaluation and negotiations. Claims will involve injuries to employees, motorists, licensees, trespassers, or others on or about railroad property. Working under technical guidance of mentor or supervisor, the Trainee would be assigned a controlled territory with simple to moderate types of claims initially, and expanded to more complex claims by term end.
- Some travel required : Travel required.
Required Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Individuals hired to work in this position will be subject to call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, including holidays and weekends.
Preferred Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- A Bachelor Degree or four years claims or relevant experience
- A post-graduate degree (MBA, JD, etc..) or higher
- 1 year(s) experience / knowledge in claims . Proficient in taking statements, investigating accidents and negotiating
- 1 year(s) experience / knowledge in Finance . Working knowledge of various options available to allocate settlements - dollars (e.g. structured settlements)
- 1 year(s) experience / knowledge of the following laws . Understanding of FELA, LIA, SAA laws and litigation in a trial setting; and use of above laws for estimating liability in claim settlement
- 1 year(s) experience / knowledge in the following medical areas ; working knowledge of occupational and medical terminology/treatment protocols
- Proficient computer skills , specifically Microsoft suite and internal applications