This position will manager field associates in the Large Loss Property dept. This position is listed in Sacramento, but can be located in all of CA, WY, MT, UT, WA, ID, CO, AZ, NM, NV, OR. The ideal applicant for this position has extensive Property estimating experience and preferably previous supervisory/leader/management experience.
JOB SUMMARY: Manages a claims unit within a geographic area. This includes review, adjusting and payment of claims within a particular line of business. May handle one or a combination of the following lines of business within a geographic territory: property damage/Blue Ribbon, material damage, casualty/bodily injury, excess/surplus, farm/agribusiness. Direct supervision of claims representatives. Other responsibilities include managing customer complaint/ satisfaction, expense control, monitoring loss cost objectives, and supporting cross-functional and cross-claims specialty coordination. May be required to lead local recruiting teams and actively partner with HR and claims leadership to develop an annual workforce plan.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Reports to the Claims Director.
1. Supports claims performance improvement via participation in special claims initiatives.
2. Supports cross-functional and cross-claims coordination and participates in local claims teams to improve cross discipline coordination.
3. Coordinates resources with other functions such as QA, SIU, Subrogation, Claims Legal, Medical review, service center/call center, and home office support staff.
4. Manages support resources/vendor as applicable (Blue Ribbon, rental car/glass vendors, etc.)
5. Conducts QA file reviews and implements QA team recommendations.
6. Monitors/manages unit performance objectives.
7. Delivers a positive On-Your-Side customer service experience to all internal, external, current and prospective Nationwide customers.
8. Resolves customer complaints according to Best Practices. Monitors customer satisfaction in an effort to drive action plans for improvement.
9. Identifies, develops and retains high potential/high performing associates who have the potential for or are ready to fill critical roles in the organization.
10. Responsible for the management of associates including performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree or post-graduate studies preferred.
Licenses/Designations: State licensing where required. Successful completion of required/applicable claims certification training/classes.
Experience: Eight years related experience in claims settlement, handling, or management. Supervisory, training and/or claims consulting experience preferred.
Knowledge: In-depth knowledge of claims files handling, investigation and settlement processes and procedures. Legal issues/litigation process as it relates to claims. Claims Best Practices and quality file review procedures. Insurance industry operations including understanding of sales and underwriting functions. Claims operations practices, procedures and related systems.
Skills/Competencies: Excellent customer focus to proactively identify and understand customer needs. Oral and written communication skills for frequent contact with claims representatives, claimants, policyholders, claims field management. Demonstrated decision-making skills, including the ability to recognize, analyze and improve claims performance situations such as loss control, LAE, customer satisfaction, employee development and engagement. Ability to supervise and train claims representative in all aspects of claims processes. Effective listening, oral and written communication skills necessary for customer contact, negotiation, presentations, project management, and personnel management. Ability to make decisions, establish priorities, and set strategic directions. .Ability to organize and deal with a variety of situations, discern problems and recommend/implement resolutions. Proven ability to operate personal computer with proficient use of claims and business software.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above Minimum Job Requirements must be approved by: Business Unit Executive and Human Resources.
Working Conditions: Office or Field claims office environment. Some travel may be required. Some positions may require ability to operate an automobile and have a valid driver's license with a safe driving record. Must be able to make physical inspection of accident scenes and property and/or property loss sites. Must be able to climb ladders, balance at various heights, stoop, and bend and/or crawl to inspect vehicles and/or structures. Must be able to work out-of-doors in all types of weather. Must be willing to work irregular hours and to travel with possible overnight requirements. Must be available to work catastrophes (CAT).
Credit/Background Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job Evaluation Activity: Edited 5/2/11 JTG
Nationwide is a high-performing organization, and we continue to prove it every day. Our Property and Casualty Division sells a unique mix...