Established in 1989, National Interstate is one of the leading specialty property and casualty insurance companies in the country. We offer more than 30 different insurance products, including traditional insurance, innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs for commercial companies and insurance for specialty vehicle owners. We are able to provide innovative and customized insurance products because of the talented and dedicated members of our team. National Interstate employs over 500 employees in offices in Northeast Ohio, PA, HI, and MO.
Responsible for assisting in various aspects of the workers’ compensation and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) / Med Pay claims handling. Assistance is provided to the claims handlers and supervisors within the Medical Unit with regard to paying bills, handling mail, routine phone calls, new insured set-up duties, data entry corrections, and copy projects.
- Submit stamped medical bills to the vendor for bill review.
- Issue payments of bills and invoices relating to claims within the predetermined timeframe that begins with the receipt of an EOB.
- Handle and mail checks with proper payment documentation.
- Sort pharmacy invoices, sending them to the company pharmacy program vendor.
- Distribute mail to appropriate recipients.
- Copy parts of claim files, as directed by the claims handler.
- Assist in organizing the paperwork of a claims handler, and attach it to a claim file.
- Receive and address telephone calls with inquiries.
- Prepare and mail Claims Kits to new captive insureds.
- Maintain the Captive Directories for Workers’ Compensation and Liability insureds.
- Submit and monitor bills sent to vendors for specific negotiation.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of the insurance industry, especially in Claims, is helpful.
- General medical knowledge and/or knowledge of workers' compensation would be a plus.
- handle incoming telephone calls or make outgoing calls, as requested by the supervisor or claims handler.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
National Interstate Insurance Company - 14 months ago