A Human Resources floater position, rotating within various departments as requested by the department supervisor and under the direction of the department supervisor. The responsibilities of the position include preparing typed copy from written copy, oral instructions, or dictating equipment; performing clerical tasks; and maintaining office filing systems. Also serves as department receptionist, when needed.
- Operates various office equipment including typewriter, computer, copy machine, and facsimile. Types correspondence, forms, envelopes, and memos on the computer or a typewriter; accesses computer for information and runs reports; proofs copies and makes corrections (i.e. employee responsible for formatting materials being typed as well as correction of grammar and punctuation).
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks including department filing and retrieving paper or computerized files; logging transactions; sorting and coding departmental documents; reviewing documents for completeness or accuracy; math computations related to ordering supplies; and making copies of related office documents.
- Answers telephone and transfers calls, writes messages and delivers messages to department personnel. Greets and assists students, employees and visitors, directing to the appropriate location or person within the department; provides general or specific information, referring answers not known to the appropriate person. Opens and distributes mail and picks up additional office materials (from another department as requested by supervisor). Obtains signatures and mails various letters, forms, and documents.
- Ability to read, write, and accurately follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform mathematics including adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing whole numbers, fractions, and decimals and calculating percentages.
- Knowledge of standard procedures for filing.
- Skill in typing on a typewriter and computer.
- Ability to classify information according to established methods.
- Ability to identify pairs of items that are the same or different.
Education/Degrees: High school diploma with course work in secretarial science and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Experience: Minimum six months work experience. On-the-job training with work experience considered.