Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook University Medical Center is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Descriptive Title: Clerical Specialist I
Budget Title: same as above
Research Foundation Support Position
RF Line#: R1014
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: $31,000 - 36,000
Required Qualifications: High School Diploma/GED and at least one year of college level course completion in Business, Finance or Accounting. Three years full time clerical experience in an Accounts Payable, Accounting or Finance related work field. Good mathematical skills required for payment processing and to perform credit card account reconciliations. Knowledge of computer based software applications and systems including Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to handle high-volume of transactions within assigned deadlines. Good communication skills for responding to departmental and vendor inquiries. Ability to work independently on assigned projects and tasks.
Preferred Qualifications: Prior accounts payable, business or finance experience in higher education. Credit card transactions management and reconciliation. IRS 1099 and 1042S tax review and reporting experience. One year staff supervisory experience.
Brief Description of Duties: The primary responsibility of the Clerical Specialist will be to master all aspects of the payment, reporting and reconciliation processes for the Stony Brook Foundation accounts payable. The two areas of focus for this candidate will be the Foundation Amex procurement card and its process requirements, and the IRS 1099 and 1042S tax reporting requirements for the Foundation. The incumbent may be required to supervise 1-2 other employees in the absence of the Supervisor.
- Review Stony Brook Foundation payments, including cash payment vouchers, payment requisitions and purchase orders for pertinent and required information, funding, GL Class codes and supporting documentation. Determine appropriateness of each expenditure as it relates to its respective purpose of account. Batch paperwork to prepare payment for input in Oracle/PeopleSoft Accounting System. Input payments with recurring batch reconciliation to ensure accurate payment balances. Special attention must be paid to data input in order to ensure payment accuracy.
- Review, audit and reconcile monthly Foundation Amex Corporate Card transactions. Obtain cardholder’s receipts, supporting justification and supervisor's approval on a timely basis. Reclass each transaction as required. Strict adherence to reconciliation and reclass process is required on a monthly basis. Utilize Excel spreadsheets and macros to maintain, organize and reconcile credit card transaction data. Prepare monthly spreadsheets to be uploaded to Oracle (PeopleSoft).
- Review, audit and reconcile Foundation 1099 payments transactions. Utilize Excel spreadsheets and pivot tables to review data and determine transaction corrections that need to be made. Close attention must be paid to ensure proper IRS 1099 and 1042 reporting and withholding.
- Perform verbal, written, and electronic communication with campus departments, administrators, and vendors to obtain appropriate documentation needed to complete payments.
- Query, analyze and regularly review Foundation reports related to all payment processes including, but not limited to, budget exceptions, unposted vouchers, unposted payments, payments on hold, recycled vouchers, etc.
- Obtain administrative authorization on payments from various campus administrators.
- Reclass and journal voucher payments as required to correct errors in voucher payment transactions.
Special Notes: This is a full time position, 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University - 2 years ago