To perform clerical support functions relating to the activities of the work unit to which assigned to include completing typing assignments, records maintenance using paper or electronic filing system, public contact and general office services; and to perform related duties as assigned.
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions . Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list of job descriptions.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Create letters, reports, memoranda, exhibits, records, forms, charts, tables or other documents by using a computer to produce drafts or final copy from recordings, rough copy or other source materials.
- Perform duties relating to the production of correspondence such as gathering and arranging materials required for completing assignments; reviewing, proofreading and editing materials for spelling, grammar and syntax; and otherwise ensuring the quality of printed or electronic documents.
- Perform duties relating to forms and records maintenance such as establishing, maintaining and updating files; searching files for information; maintaining departmental records and statistics; opening, maintaining and closing case files; and recommending new forms or other revision of existing forms. Depending on assignment, duties may involve the maintenance of electronic data files.
- Perform public contact duties such as receiving and routing phone calls; responding to complaints and inquiries by phone and in person; directing clients or visitors to proper locations; scheduling appointments for clients or staff; and assigning service requests to program units or staff in accordance with established guidelines.
- Perform general office services to include opening, sorting and distributing mail and preparing outgoing mail; preparing and sending form letters and composing routine letters; copying documents; scanning documents; assisting the public in completing forms; and related duties.
- Perform budget maintenance or payroll duties such as preparing or verifying payrolls; maintaining inventories of office supplies; recommending equipment purchase; preparing, checking or processing requisitions, purchase orders and accounts payable forms; and maintaining accounts in accordance with Department of Finance practices.
- Perform clerical functions peculiar to the unit to which assigned which involve duties relating to checking, verifying or processing forms, records and documents; setting priorities according to established guidelines in order to meet deadlines and maintaining a smooth work flow; and otherwise ensuring the efficiency of clerical operations.
- May provide work direction to other clerical personnel engaged in similar duties.
Education: High school graduation or equivalent.
Clerk Typist 1, none.
Clerk Typist 2, two years' full time experience as a Clerk-Typist 1 or equivalent.
Clerk Typist 3, four years' full time experience as a Clerk-Typist 1 or equivalent.
CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
Clerk Typist experience, or "the equivalent" is work that is in an office environment, usually at a desk with a computer.
The following types of work are NOT equivalent to the clerical work done by a Clerk Typist in Ramsey County.
- direct care jobs,
- food service jobs,
- check out jobs in grocery stores,
- maintenance jobs,
- retail work, or retail sales,
- assembly jobs,
- landscaping work,
- security guards,
- trades' jobs,
- nursing assistants,
- construction work, etc.
- Graduation from a recognized post-secondary two year secretarial program may substitute for two years of the required experience.
- Post high school education and/or training may substitute on a year - for - year basis for up to two years of the required experience.
- A Bachelor's degree may be substituted for up to two years of clerical experience.
- Ability to type 30 wpm for Clerk Typist 1
- Ability to type 40 wpm for Clerk Typist 2
- Ability to type 50 wpm for Clerk Typist 3
If your accuracy is less than 100%, you must type more words per minute. For example, if you type 30 wpm with a 98% accuracy rate, your final typing score will not be a passing score (30wpm x .98% = 29.4 wpm)
Exam/Screening Process Information:
The examination process will consist of the following sections with each section weighted as indicated:
- Typing Test......................................Wt. Pass/Fail
- Training and Experience Rating.............................Wt. 100%
Applicants must submit documentation of their typing scores by May 3, 2013. They can be submitted by: EMAIL TO; email@example.com; U.S. MAIL TO; Ramsey County Human Resources, Metro Square Building, Suite 2100, St. Paul, MN, OR, BY FAX, to 651-266-2727, or upload to your applicant profile.
NOTE: A minimum passing rating is required in each of the sections listed above.
You can take the typing test once a week at no charge at a Minnesota Workforce Center testing location, recognized educational institution, employment agency, or public employer. NO TYPING TESTS TAKEN AT AN INTERNET SITE WILL BE ACCEPTED.
You must call for an appointment. Typing tests can be scheduled between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. They will provide test results to you, which you must submit by May 3, 2013.
You may submit a typing test already taken, if it was taken AFTER MAY 3, 2011 (within the last two years.) Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you decide to take this option.
Minnesota Workforce Center Testing Locations in the Metropolitan area are:
St. Paul -- 540 Fairview Avenue North......................... (651) 642-0363
North St Paul -- 2098 11th Avenue East, McKnight Plaza......................... (651) 779-5666
Blaine -- Anoka Co Human Services Bldg......................... (763) 783-4800
1201 89th Avenue NE Suite 235
West St Paul -- 1 Mendota Road W Suite 170......................... (651) 554-5955
Burnsville -- Southcross Commons Ct. IV......................... (952) 895-7600
2900 West County Road 42, Suite 140
Brooklyn Park -- 7225 Northland Drive......................... (763) 279-4400
Bloomington -- 4220 W Old Shakopee Road........................ (952) 346-4000
Shakopee -- 752 Canterbury Road South......................... (952) 445-7087
Woodbury -- 2150 Radio Drive......................... (651) 275-8665
Forest Lake -- 19955 Forest Road North........................ (651) 275-7265
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Mirian Simpson at email@example.com, or by phone at 651-266-2711.