** Eligible for promotion to Clerk Typist II after one year acceptable work experience as a Clerk Typist I **
Under supervision, to perform routine clerical and keyboarding tasks, and to perform other duties as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASSIFICATION
Work is of a routine and repetitive nature, and is performed according to established practices and procedures. Employees generally work from detailed instructions. Difficulty is limited to accuracy and/or speed. Work requires limited analysis and limited use of individual judgment. Work requires the consistent use of a keyboard.
Example of Duties:
The majority of duties performed are to be of the nature described below; however, positions in this classification may perform some duties which are normally associated with other classification.
1. Types or keys and proofreads simple or routine documents from rough draft, plain copy, or dictated material (e.g. correspondence, reports, forms, envelopes, index cards, lists, and other similar material).
2. Prepares routine correspondence, forms, and reports in accordance with specific procedures or instructions.
3. Acts as a receptionist, greets and directs visitors, answers the telephone, works at a counter assisting the public, and provides general or routine information in response to telephone or personal inquiries.
4. Maintains general and routine files by alphabetical, numerical, or other predetermined order, and makes changes to filed materials as instructed.
5. Checks a variety of records, forms, applications, accounts, computer printouts, statistical tables, and other materials for accuracy and completeness.
6. Posts data to manual records and enters data into and retrieves data from a computer system.
7. Receives, processes, and distributes incoming and outgoing mail.
8. Duplicates, assembles, collates, and distributes a wide variety of materials.
9. Assists in compiling a variety of routine information.
10. Maintains inventories and orders and issues supplies.
11. May receive and prepare receipts for routine payment of fees due and bills rendered.
12. Operates a variety of modern office equipment such as a typewriter, computer, word processing equipment, copy and microfilm machine, fax machine, adding machine, and calculator.
13. Establishes and maintains effective working relations with co-workers, employees, and the public.
14. Performs other duties as required.
Essential Knowledge and Abilities
1. Working knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
2. Working knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation, correspondence formats and arithmetic.
3. Ability to type or operate a keyboard at a speed of at least 40 net words per minute.
4. Ability to process a variety of materials according to prescribed procedures.
5. Ability to identify and correct errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
6. Ability to accurately perform basic math calculations.
7. Ability to maintain routine files and records.
8. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
9. Ability to review a variety of documents for accuracy and completeness.
10. Ability to deal with the public in an effective, courteous, and timely manner.
11. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
12. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations.
1. Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
At Clerk Typist I level, requires passing a typing skills test with at least 40 net words per minute.
Waukesha County, WI - 16 months ago