Only current, permanent Placer County employees may apply for this promotional recruitment.
To plan, organize, direct and supervise public aid eligibility determination operations and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
The Supervising Client Services Program Specialist level recognizes positions that perform full, first-line supervisory responsibilities including planning, assigning and evaluating the work of subordinates and are responsible for a program area within a work unit or department.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from supervisory or management staff.
Exercises direct supervision over assigned technical and clerical personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Experience and Training
- Provide technical assistance to eligibility workers regarding interpretation of rules, regulations and policies and resolution of difficult eligibility or Case Data System problems.
- Assist eligibility workers in identifying clients or situations appropriate for referral to social services, other County departments or outside agencies.
- Authorize and sign checks for cash aid programs.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of unit goals and objectives; establish schedules and methods for eligibility determination; implement policies and procedures.
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise and review the work of staff involved in eligibility determination.
- Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
- Assist in the interpretation of regulations and development of implementation procedures.
- Serve as hearing officer for Fair Hearings, as needed.
- Participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; submit justifications for staff, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and control expenditures.
- Participate in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; recommend discipline; implement discipline procedures as directed.
- Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other County employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Three years of increasingly responsible experience in eligibility determination.
Training: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by college course work in business accounting, real estate, or banking or a related field.
License or Certificate:
May need to possess a valid driver's license as required by the position. Proof of adequate vehicle insurance and medical clearance may also be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Principles and practices of eligibility determination in social service aid programs.
- Equipment and materials used in eligibility determination including automated information systems and instructional tools.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluations.
- Principles of budget monitoring.
- Principles and practices of work safety.
- Various public aid/service programs and community resources.
- Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances and rules and court decisions.
The following information represents benefits currently available to permanent Placer County employees and may be subject to change. It is advisable that applicants inquire as to the most current benefit package during hiring interviews or by contacting the Personnel Department.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policies and procedures; explain eligibility regulations and procedures to clients and the general public.
- On an intermittent basis, sit at a desk for long periods of time; intermittently walk, stand, bend, climb, squat, twist and reach while retrieving or returning files. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; see with correctable acuity sufficient to read characters on computer screen; hear and speak with correctable acuity sufficient to communicate with clients; and lift moderate weight.
- Organize, implement and direct eligibility determination operations/activities.
- Interpret and explain pertinent County and Department policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development and monitoring of an assigned program budget.
- Develop and recommend policies and procedures related to assigned operations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Work with various cultural and ethnic groups in a tactful and effective manner.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Placer County - 10 months ago