The American health care industry is undergoing tremendous change. High deductible health plans have been on the rise for years, causing patients to take on more responsibility for an ever-increasing portion of their medical bills. The Affordable Care Act is expected to drive more than 30 million newly insured patients to these types of plans, which will only intensify the situation.
With higher out-of-pocket healthcare expenses come a larger number of people who have trouble paying their medical bills. Unpaid medical bills can lead to financial crisis for patients, and can keep them from getting the care they need, when they need it. For healthcare providers, unpaid medical bills can lead to increased write-offs and a weaker financial footing, threatening their ability to provide quality care to their community.
Headquartered in Lake Oswego, Oregon, just outside Portland, CarePayment offers healthcare finance solutions that improve financial performance for healthcare providers, increase patient satisfaction and loyalty, and are fully compliant with applicable state and federal consumer credit laws. CarePayment partners with healthcare providers to offer co-branded patient-friendly financing programs with the retail-like engagement, service, and technology experience consumers expect.
Founded in 2004, CarePayment is an industry leader now serving more than 190 facilities and clinics and 1.25 million patients with $780 million in life-to-date balances. CarePayment is backed by Aequitas Capital Management, which builds income-producing alternative investment solutions for institutional and high net worth clients. With this foundation, CarePayment has the financial strength to expand its best-in-class solutions to an even wider market. Our mission is to help people access and pay for healthcare and help providers maintain a strong presence in their community.
The Client Support Specialist is responsible for supporting our hospital clients by helping them to work through specific patient or guarantor account issues related to the CarePayment program. This primarily involves working with hospital personnel to maintain accurate balances within both our client hospital’s patient accounting databases and the CarePayment customer database by analyzing various data sources. It also involves following up on specific account requests. In addition, the Client Support Specialist may be involved in report development, generation and analytics related to client performance.
- Document and resolve various issues that arise from balance reconciliation work or other related account issues. Examples include cardholder inquiries, account record changes and overpayment processing.
- Generate the weekly reconciliation report for clients and research specific report items
- Assist with special projects related to client support or other operations-related activities
- Troubleshoot data integrity issues by identifying and communicating the issues to IT
- Audit raw data files against the various operational and reconciliation reports
- Routine phone conferences with each client to discuss specific account discrepancies and other issues
- Develop and build reports and perform data analysis
- BS/BA Business/Accounting or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient working with numbers and basic accounting.
- Experience in healthcare, customer service and/or banking is a plus
- Experience with healthcare and/or financial analysis or accounting a plus
- Strong numbers orientation; experienced and comfortable with data analysis required
- Ability to analyze reports and compare the output to determine discrepancies
- Experienced with Microsoft Office, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Comfortable with basic business financial analysis; Accounting experience a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills and phone etiquette
- Ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with hospital clients
- Ability to communicate effectively with IT staff to resolve data integrity issues
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively
- Flexibility to perform in an ever-changing work environment
- Ability to develop detailed understanding of the CarePayment model and the ability to communicate the process to the clients
- Understanding of relational database structure and report building
- Willingness to work occasional overtime as needed
CarePayment is owned by Aequitas Capital Management, a leading alternative asset management company. Aequitas offers a competitive base salary and benefits package, including company-paid medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 401(k) plan with an employer match.