About Ross University School of Medicine
Ross University School of Medicine was founded in 1978 and is a provider of medical education offering a doctor of medicine degree program. Located in Dominica, West Indies, the School of Medicine has clinical education centers in Miami, FL and Saginaw, MI and places more graduates into US residencies annually than any other medical school in the world.
About Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
Ross University is a provider of medical and veterinary education, offering doctor of medicine and doctor of veterinary medicine degree programs. Founded in 1982 and located in St. Kitts, the School of Veterinary Medicine is affiliated with 22 AVMA-accredited US veterinary schools where students complete their clinical year. The University’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital is the only facility outside the US and Canada accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association. Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine is committed to improving the well-being of people and animals in the St. Kitts and Nevis community through service, education and research.
This is a part time position, up to .50 FTE. The Chair of a medical specialty is the chief academic and administrative officer for the clinical faculty of the specialty throughout the United States. The Chair is responsible for ensuring academic excellence in the assigned discipline. The Chair oversees activities related to the discipline as well as the integration of the discipline with the other sciences. The Chair provides guidance and oversight of a well- integrated medical program in the specialty across affiliates. The chair supervises the associated Clerkship Director to ensure assessment of clinical competency of students within the area of specialty and to serve as a respected representative of RUSM at meetings and conferences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews and approves any changes to the department’s program.
- Works closely with the site Directors of Medical Education to assure adherence to curricular expectations.
- Utilizes the RUSM Clinical Site Visit report guidelines, provides timely summary reports and makes recommendations based on site visits. The Chair provides feedback and
recommendations to correct deficiencies.
- Ensures the academic department is in compliance with current developments in medicine as they will be reflected is the USMLE Step 2 examinations.
- Serves on appropriate bodies to assure accreditations are maintained.
- Identifies faculty at affiliated sites for appointment and promotion.
- Establishes and updates Clinical program guidelines consistent with the discipline, LCME and other board standards
- Supports the implementation of policies and procedures to enhance the educational program.
- Participates on RUSM committees
- Participates in program evaluations and assessments to assure appropriate outcomes are achieved for the specialty.
- In coordination with the Director of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness, assists in the development and rollout of training and development programs and faculty orientation. Assesses the impact on academic personnel.
- Remains current on developments in the field, research, and best practices. Researches emerging industry trends, new technologies, concepts and techniques and works
with the appropriate personnel to integrate these items into the department goals.
- Promotes the use of technology, including the effective application and review of Program Renaissance, throughout the clinical rotations.
- Serves as a mentor for the professional development of RUSM students.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The minimum requirements for the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position are listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.
- M.D. degree required
- Board certified in the medical specialty
- Minimum of five years of experience teaching at a post-secondary level
- Eligible for rank of Associate Professor or Professor in accordance with RUSM Faculty Appointment and Promotion Guidelines
- Demonstrated record of outstanding achievement within the discipline, in administration or as a teacher.
- Knowledge of post- secondary academic models
- Knowledge of medical advancements in the specialty
- Knowledge of accreditation standards
- Knowledge of negotiation and mediation
- Working knowledge of current e-tools available in education
- Must be able to meet domestic and international requirements for travel to and from the United States.
Ross University School of Medicine - 2 years ago