The Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - PM Shift is responsible for the general supervision of the laboratory personnel and the daily operations of the analytical laboratory. The Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - PM Shift may also perform high complexity laboratory testing on patient specimens, interpret and report patient results, and perform quality control and quality assurance procedures while complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements.
The high complexity nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
The Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - PM Shift will often be the first point of contact for CLSs and Laboratory Assistants during laboratory processing and will provide guidance while troubleshooting complex problems. The Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - PM Shift must also act as a liaison between the CLSs and Laboratory Assistants and the Technical Supervisor, Training Supervisor and Laboratory Manager. As such, the Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - PM Shift must exhibit leadership skills such as good judgment, sound analysis and decision making, the ability to remain professional and composed under pressure, effective interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the laboratory and across departments.
The Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - PM Shift will also be involved with scheduling, troubleshooting high complexity technical and non-technical problems, coaching and mentoring the laboratory staff, building effective teams, managing projects and meeting project deliverables, and understanding and implementing laboratory goals. Given the wide variety of tasks involved in this position, the Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - PM Shift must demonstrate the ability to analyze complex issues and make sound decisions in a timely manner, commitment to helping and motivating employees, the ability to respond to difficult issues quickly, fairly, and ethically, outstanding organizational skills, the ability to respond to change with flexibility and to adapt quickly to evolving circumstances, and excellent communication skills including utilizing various communication channels (team meetings, one on one etc.), proactively communicating team goals and priorities clearly, openly and objectively, and communicating changes, issues, and challenges in all directions of the organization.
- Provide day-today supervision of laboratory personnel
- Be responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory including but not limited to scheduling, independently troubleshooting and resolving technical and non-technical high complexity problems
- Independently identify and troubleshoot high complexity problems that adversely affect test performance
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to writing employee performance evaluations and reviewing SOPs, protocols, QC forms, and equipment maintenance forms
- Coach and mentor CLSs and Laboratory Assistants including but not limited to providing guidance and constructive feedback and assisting with the development of the troubleshooting and judgment skills of CLSs and Laboratory Assistants
- Manage the testing and validation of new laboratory equipment and procedures
- Perform laboratory tests, procedures, and analyses according to the laboratory's standard operating procedures as needed
- Review, interpret, and report patient results as needed
- Perform, review and document laboratory quality control procedures, as needed
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory equipment, as needed
- Assist with the training of new laboratory personnel and training of new procedures with existing personnel
- Participate in quality assurance activities
- Possess a working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations
- Outstanding professionalism, leadership, and communications skills
- Ability to provide direct supervision to testing personnel
- Ability to analyze and problem solve complex issues that impact test performance
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong technical skills and job and industry knowledge
- Strong project management abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to proactively communicate consistently, clearly, and honestly
- Strong automation and computing skills
- High volume laboratory experience preferred
- Training in molecular biology techniques preferred
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT :
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations
- At least five years of high volume, high complexity Clinical Laboratory experience or equivalent Supervisory experience preferred
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary
- Some lifting (greater than 25 pounds) may be necessary; Facilities, Materials and Engineering employees occasionally must lift at least 50-75 pounds.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation (GENERALLY LABORATORY & CUSTOMER SERVICE EMPLOYEES ONLY)
- Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary (LAB EMPLOYEES ONLY)
About Genomic Health
Genomic Health, Inc. (NASDAQ: GHDX) is the world's leading provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address...