GENERAL: Works under general supervision while providing social work services and counseling to patients by completing psychosocial assessments, care plan development, arranging appropriate level of care based on discharge plan.
EDUCATION : Bachelor’s degree in social work from four-year college or university required.
EXPERIENCE : One to two years related experience in a nursing home or hospital and / or training preferred.
CERTIFICATE, LICENCES, REGISTRATIONS: Current certification as a social worker from the State of Nebraska is preferred.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
1. Interviews patient(s) and family members to assess psychosocial needs including: level of function, cultural and ethnic factors, emotional status, social skills, family relationships, financial / insurance status, response to illness or current conditions affecting patient.
2. Interprets psychosocial information to attending physician and other patient care team members, as appropriate, by completing the social work assessment and documenting the information in the patient's medical chart.
3. Counsels patient and family members regarding issues such as: anxiety and stress precipitated by illness / hospitalization, coping with physical impairment / disability, fears related to helplessness or death, adjustment to the need for institutional or specialized care, etc.
4. Involves patient and family members, as appropriate, in care plan development and process by meeting with them to discuss recommendations made by the healthcare team; attends interdisciplinary team meetings in order to provide social work input regarding care plan process and development and to ensure a comprehensive and holistic approach to care provided.
5. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and the skills necessary to provide age specific and appropriate care of the patient according to their age category; interprets data about the patient's status in order to identify each patient's age specific needs consistent with the care of the patient.
6. Coordinates patient / family meetings and acts as patient advocate; provides patient / family members with accurate information regarding patient rights policy, advance directives,guardianship rights, power of attorney, etc.
7. Presents patient with discharge options so patient and family members can make informed choices.
8. Contacts nursing homes, community / state / federal resources on patient's behalf to obtain and utilize services; may assist with making patient transfers by notifying facility of referral, notifying family of transfer, arranging transportation, processing documents / records, obtaining financial assistance, i.e. Medicare / Medicaid, etc.
9. May identify and assess possible victims of abuse or neglect and notify properlegal authorities as required.
10. Confers with MSW staff to review patient needs, case consultation, documentation clarification, etc.
11. Records, documents, compiles and maintains monthly statistics on patients served; participates in various projects as assigned.
12. Attends / participates in departmental meetings / inservices. Mary Lanning Healthcare quality improvement program, etc.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Mary Lanning Memorial Hospital - 16 months ago