Under direction, performs investigations to enforce compliance with applicable codes, rules and regulations; conducts rental licensing inspections; conducts systematic neighborhood evaluations; investigates complaints of property maintenance violations, nuisances, unsanitary environmental conditions, and health and, safety hazards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS::
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside environmental conditions.
- Performs inspections in the application and enforcement of building codes and other applicable regulations as needed including but not limited to, the City’s Zoning Ordinance and Historic Preservation Guidelines.
- Conducts rental license inspections and follow-ups in conjunction with the rental licensing program.
- Investigates complaints regarding any Housing Code violations pertaining to health and safety hazards.
- Investigates complaints of nuisances and unsanitary environmental conditions, such as garbage junk, abandoned vehicles, insects, etc; determines validity of complaints and advises owners/occupants of actions necessary to correct the conditions; takes measures to enforce compliance with the applicable codes.
- Prepares letters to violators or owners of property; maintains records and reports; answers complaints and requests for information relative to the Property Maintenance code.
- Communicates with the general public relative to issues and cases involving property maintenance violations.
- Uses computer to input data collected during investigations and accesses various computer applications to collect information.
- Collects and prepares data and documentary evidence on cases of noncompliance for use in court; appears and testifies at legal proceedings as required.
- Confers with other inspectors and owners of property relative to the interpretation and application of the Property Maintenance Code and other laws, ordinances and regulations, and with respect to the correction of defects found.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of local codes and ordinances; State laws, national model codes accepted practices relating to the enforcement of property maintenance, building, zoning, health, and fire standards
- Working knowledge of approved methods and materials used in housing construction including plumbing, electrical, building, heating, fire, and sanitation practices
- Ability to complete work assignments on an individual level and in decisions as required by the position
- Ability to recognize hazardous conditions and recommend proper corrective action
- Ability to enforce regulations with firmness and tact
- Knowledge of computer applications as pertaining to code enforcement
- Ability to communicate with the public and other staff as related to building codes and other issues
- Ability to work in the field with minimum supervision
- Extensive and demonstrative knowledge of the use and application of MS Office Suite and electronic mail systems
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from high school or completion of GED
- Minimum of five years in the construction industry
- This position will be required to work weekends
- Must have a valid Illinois Drivers License
- Must obtain ICC Property Maintenance Inspection certification within six months of hire
- Must obtain AACE Housing and Zoning Inspection certification within one year of hire.