The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of Stony Brook University’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It includes Stony Brook University Hospital, Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 597 beds, SBUH is the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center. We are home of the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Long Island Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. At Stony Brook Medicine, we put the power of ideas to work. Join our team at Stony Brook Medicine – the best ideas in medicine. TWO-WEEK INTERNAL POSTING
Descriptive Title: Coding Specialist/Validator
Budget Title: TH Medical Records Specialist
State Professional Position
Department: Health Information Management
State Line#: 16836
Campus: Stony Brook-University Hospital
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Required Qualifications: Associate degree in Health Information Management. In lieu of Associates degree, a coding certificate in an AHIMA recognized program and an additional two years of relevant experience. RHIT, RHIA, CCS, credential. Two years of acute care hospital medical record inpatient coding experience. Two years acute care hospital DRG validation experience, which may be concurrent with coding experience.
Brief Description of Duties:
- Abstracts pertinent information from patient records. Assigns ICD-9CM diagnosis and procedure codes for DRG group assignments.
- Directly enters codes on the proper source documents, abstracts data, collates files of previous visits if needed and prepares charts for reviewers, studies and audits.
- Queries physicians when code assignments are not straight forward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Perform coding audits by reviewing medical records for correct ICD-CM diagnosis and procedure codes and DRG assignment.
- Management of daily SMART reporting and database collection.
- Management of validation from outsourced coders/validators, including physician queries and ICD diagnosis or procedure code re-assignment.
- Identification of coding problem areas.
- Assist with coder education.
- Keeps abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements. Brings identified concerns to supervisor or department manager for resolution.
- Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Ensures the confidentiality of data contained in the medical records as outlined in institutional policies and procedures. Supports and promotes the HIM department by participating in special projects.
Special Notes: Full-time day position 8am-430pm pass days are Saturday and Sunday. All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair. Please note Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment.
REPOST INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY TO APPLY.
Please note: Prior to start date , the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services, clear a background investigation; submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University
- 2 years ago - save job