About Banner Health
Banner Health was selected as one of the Top Leadership Teams in Healthcare by Health Leaders Media and is one of the Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks in the nation according to SDI. We encouraged you to read more information about Banner Health and recommend the following options:
- Why Banner Health?
- Banner Health Benefits
- Banner Health Careers
This position plans, leads and directs designated medical coding teams across multiple locations. The position has shared responsibility to achieve the business unit goals in targeted areas such as unbilled accounts receivable, compliance with regulatory requirements, data integrity, Case Mix Index (CMI) and reimbursement with third party payors. The position works collaboratively with Health Information Management System (HIMS) leadership to achieve designated financial and revenue cycle goals and coding compliance.
- Selects, trains, coaches, motivates, conducts performance evaluations, and directs the workflow for staff assigned to coding function. Develops goals and performance expectations for staff in targeted areas, such as unbilled accounts receivable, quality and timeliness of clinical coding assignments, data integrity and reimbursement with third party payors. Provides for the education, development and shared leadership of staff.
- Participates in the development of the department budget in conjunction with established goals and objectives. Plays a key role in ensuring budgetary goals are met on an annual basis.
- Drives organization performance improvements by refinement and monitoring of the coding scorecard which includes: unbilled A/R; Medicare second reviews; RAC denials; first time submission acceptance for the state; coding accuracy; % clean claims; staff stats; etc. Participates in the improvement of processes and programs.
- Works collaboratively with other leaders to establish coding quality, productivity and best practices. Monitors goals and benchmarks productivity and quality standards in conjunction with industry trends. Identifies potential improvements and moves team to achieve next level of performance with regards to coding quality, productivity and best practices.
- Participates in developing standard coding policies/procedures/guidelines to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulatory guidelines to minimize risk for the organization. Supports coding infrastructure to ensure regulatory compliance in all aspects of coding and abstracting of clinical data to support patient care processes.
- Monitors data integrity on regular basis to ensure abstracted data elements meet requirements, performs staff training and education, communicates with associated departments including semi-annual data submission to state health departments. Supports software testing by providing staff to ensure proper functionality of applications when requested.
- Keeps abreast of new medical technologies, procedures and pending regulatory changes which impact the organization. Proactively analyzes potential impact to the organization to minimize adverse impact. Participates as a key member for ICD-10 planning and implementation.
Must possess a strong knowledge of business and/or healthcare as normally obtained through the completion of a bachelor’s degree in business, health care administration or related field.
In the acute care environment, requieres a Requires a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) in an active status with American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). In the ambulatory setting, requires Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification, with RHIA, RHIT or CCS certification preferred.
Must possess a strong knowledge and background in coding as normally demonstrated through three or more years of progressive coding leadership experience preferably within a major health care organization or health system setting. Must have highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively. Requires the ability to work effectively with all common office software and coding software applications.
Must possess a thorough knowledge of computer applications and their applicability to coding.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
If you thrive on change and you’re looking to be part of the future of health care, you belong at Banner Health.