Sallie Mae (NASDAQ: SLM) is the nation's No. 1 financial services company specializing in education. Whether college is a long way off or just around the corner, Sallie Mae turns education dreams into reality for its 25 million customers. With products and services that include college savings programs, scholarship search tools, education loans, tuition insurance, and online banking, Sallie Mae offers solutions that help families save, plan, and pay for college. Sallie Mae also provides financial services to hundreds of college campuses as well as to federal and state governments. Commonly known as Sallie Mae, SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America.
The Collector I is responsible for performing collection activities in an effort to recover losses from assigned accounts. Collector will locate and communicate with debtors via the telephone and written notices in order to obtain repayment in full or to establish acceptable payment arrangements. Additionally, collector will resolve issues of a non-routine nature as necessary as well as perform skip tracing and contract observance functions to ensure compliance of all company, client, and federal and state regulations.
***This position will be starting Monday, February 11th . This position is full time only. The shift is Monday - Friday, 2 days 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, 3 days Noon to 9:00 PM, and 8 mandatory weekend hours a month. Mandatory training will be Monday - Friday, February 11th - March 1st , 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This position is located in the Muncie, IN office.
Essential Job Functions include:
1. Communicate with debtors in regards to the repayment of their delinquent debt.
a. Achieve assigned goals (fee, postdate, liquidation, and/or consolidation apps taken -- specified by line of business)
b. Make required number of phone calls daily as determined by management
c. Profile debtors and obtain financial information. Update demographic and financial information on each call.
d. Negotiate the best possible arrangements
e. Proficiency with company telephone system while placing outbound calls and accepting inbound calls.
f. Refer accounts for legal or administrative wage garnishment processes if applicable as dictated by department and/or client requirements.
2. Perform skip tracing to locate debtors.
a. Use skip-tracing tools to locate the debtor in the most efficient manner
b. Locate required number of skip accounts as determined by management
c. Effectively communicate with third parties to obtain location information
d. Profile accounts that are determined unlocatable or exhausted
3. Ensure all accounts are worked within client standards and Federal Regulations.
a. Maintain specified file of accounts per client standards
b. Work within FDCPA, state regulations, department/division & APG Compliance Policies
c. Maintain clear, concise and accurate documentation of all attempts and/or contacts made and received for accounts in accordance with company and client specification
4. Maintain continuing education, training in industry career development.
a. Maintain current knowledge of and comply with all federal and state rules and regulations governing collections including FDCPA, Privacy Act, FCRA, etc.
b. Attend training sessions as directed by management
c. Integrate information obtained through training sessions and policy changes immediately into daily routine
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Minimum of six months of progressive work experience preferred.
- PC experience in a windows environment.
- Basic keyboarding skills.
- Must be able to obtain required License for collecting.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow written and/or verbal instructions.
- Good mathematical skills including calculator skills.
- Ability to meet aggressive daily, weekly, and monthly production and quality goals.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Negotiation, counseling and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work flexible day, evening and weekend hours as required.
- Ability to learn company collections computer system and phone system.
The collector is given limited authority by collections management to conduct, manage and administer the collection activities necessary to collect an account, while operating within the guidelines and budget of the collections department.
Sallie Mae is a federal government contractor. Should this position support a government contract, now or in the future, the successful candidate will be subject to a background check conducted by the U.S. Government to determine eligibility and suitability for federal contract employment for public trust or sensitive positions.
- Previous sales or customer service experience.
- ACA certification preferred
- Experience with customer service or customer care
- Collections experience
- Outbound/Inbound call center experience
- Experience in Client Services or CSR
Sallie Mae, founded 28 years ago, provides funds for educational loans, primarily federally guaranteed student loans originated under the...