UALR Functional Title
College Director of Communications and Public Relations / R99724
Dean-Arts, Humanities, & Social Sci
The Director of Communications and Public Relations for the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences will manage strategic communications and marketing for the College and collaborate with University Communications to meet university goals. This position will assist the Dean in College to plan, market, and manage print production, advertising, news releases, event planning, web content, and social media for the College. This position, which reports to the Dean of the College, will provide leadership and counsel to academic departments for communications, recruitment marketing, event planning, and communications budgeting.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop annual communications plan for the college. Set the timeline for execution of the plan.
- Design and facilitate the production of print materials, content strategy, writing, signage, and promotional materials.
- Organize photo and videography sessions, and supervise the graphic design work of outside contractors.
- Collaborate with College and University staff and faculty to keep website content current and in line with best practices for web communications.
- Lead social media communications for the College.
- Oversee communications budget in coordination with the College Budget Director. Prepare regular reports.
- Collaborate with University Communications advertising manager on advertising messaging and placement for the College.
- Supervise communications graduate students for the College.
- Direct communications plans for the College events and write news releases for web and news media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent planning skills.
- Understanding and experience with institutional branding.
- Ability to provide communications counsel to faculty and staff.
- Excellent design skills and knowledge of current design software.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to create effective partnerships/collaborations for the College.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, collaborate with a team, and exercise good judgment in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to determine costs and resource requirements for projects.
- Event planning experience.
- Knowledge of applicable technology and software for editing, writing, and web posting.
- Experience with Wordpress and/or content management systems and Excel.
Required Education and/or Experience
An earned bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of experience in a related work environment.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
A Master’s degree and work experience in a communications position in Higher Education.
Background Check Requirements
01 - Criminal/Financial
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds: Frequently, Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds: Occasionally, Kneeling: Occasionally, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Frequently, Lifting 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Pushing/pulling 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Sitting for long periods of time: Frequently, Standing for long periods of time: Occasionally, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Short Distances: Frequently, Walking - Long Distances; Occasionally
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit three writing samples in the required documents section.