Clark College is currently accepting applications for a College Prep & Transfer Academic Advisor (Program Specialist 2). This classified position reports to the College Prep & Transfer Divisional Manager and is responsible for providing effective and efficient advising for current and prospective students enrolled in adult basic education (ABE), general education development preparation (GED), English as a second language (ESL), and developmental math, reading, and English courses as they transition to college-level coursework. College Prep & Transfer (CP/T) advisors also advise students interested in transferring to four-year institutions after completing educational goals at Clark College, including specific curriculum and general education requirements for academic associate degrees. The initial appointment will include a 6-month probationary period and the employee will earn permanent status after successfully completing probation.
- Provide effective and efficient advising to CP/T students so that they may develop education plans, enroll in appropriate classes, understand college policies and procedures, utilize online services, and be able to access and use college support services.
- Specialize in assisting students in basic education, pre-college, and transfer pathways. This includes also working with students who are undecided in their major.
- Keep accurate and updated electronic notes on advising sessions for future reference and accountability.
- Provide official credential evaluations from other colleges and universities for academic degree placement and planning.
- Participate in group advising sessions during new student orientation and give presentations on college advising requirements.
- Work with the CP/T Divisional Manager to help with the development of policies and procedures for advising CP/T students.
- Present area specific presentations and workshops to prospective and current students.
- Assist the CP/T Divisional Manager in creating, editing, updating or ordering division materials and resources
- Provide supportive and appropriate advising for students struggling academically and suggest college success strategies to retain students in academic difficulty.
- Work effectively as part of an advising team in the Advising Center, as well as collaborate frequently with other campus personnel.
- Provide leadership and support for part-time advisors within the CP/T Advising Division.
- Assist with the training of new advisors.
Candidates will be evaluated based on application materials, including the supplemental examination and personal interview(s), and will be required to demonstrate competencies in the following areas:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Experience: Experience in academic advising, or two years of relevant experience in higher education.
- Computer Skills: Strong computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, as well as the ability to quickly learn new software systems as required.
- Communication Skills: E xcellent oral and written communication skills, including active listening skills.
- Problem solving : Superior critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Adaptability: Ability to respond to changing needs, requirements, and information.
- Customer Service: Must provide excellent customer service and function well in a busy, sometimes stressful environment.
- Commitment to Diversity: Experience working with people from academically, culturally, and economically diverse backgrounds.
- Master’s Degree in Education, Student Services, Student Development, Counseling or related field.
- Experience working in community college system.
- Two years of relevant advising experience in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience with integrated student information software systems such as PeopleSoft, Datatel, and Banner.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team and across organizational lines.
- Bilingual ability.
Job Readiness/Working Conditions:
- This position is represented by Washington Public Employees Association. As a condition of employment, employees are required to become a member of WPEA or pay a representation fee.
- This position requires a background check to be conducted on applicants prior to hiring.
Starting Salary: $2,724.00/month Range: 41 Code: 107I
Benefits package includes insurance, retirement, annual and sick leave, disability, flexible spending account, and tuition waiver.
Required application materials must be completed and submitted online by 3 p.m., June 7, 2013.
REQUIRED ONLINE APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To contact Clark College Human Resources, please call (360) 992-2105.
- Clark College online application
- Current résumé
- Responses to the supplemental questions included in the online application process
Clark College is an equal opportunity employer. Protected group members are strongly encouraged to apply. Clark College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, creed, disabled veteran status, marital status or Vietnam-era veteran status in its programs and activities. Questions regarding the College’s Affirmative Action Policy may be directed to the Special Advisor for Diversity and Equity, Gaiser Hall, (360)992-2355.
Upon request, accommodations are available to persons with disabilities for the application process. Contact Human Resources at (360)992-2105 or by video phone at (360)991-0901.
The security of all the members of the campus community is of vital concern to Clark College. Information regarding crime prevention advice, the authority of the Security/Safety Department, policies concerning reporting of any crimes which may occur on the campus, and crime statistics for the most recent 4-year period may be requested from the Clark College Security/Safety Department, (360) 992-2133.
If you are hired, you will need proof of identity, and documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work.
CORRECTIONS OR EXTENDED NOTICES:
Corrected or extended notices will be posted online and in the Human Resources Office.
Clark College Human Resources
May 23, 2013
Clark College - 13 months ago
The Clark College Bookstore focuses on excellent customer service. In addition to the specific qualifications, we are looking for employees...