This position will provide you with opportunities to practice business skills and develop experience that could lead to a full time Underwriting position. Duration of internship will be approximately 90 days (June-August) with potential to join our Trainee Program Full-Time at the end of the internship. You will learn commercial lines insurance concepts and processes and assist the team in completing basic underwriting functions of handling a territory.
1. Learn basic concepts of commercial insurance and understand department workflow and processes.
2. Take progress tests to demonstrate comprehension of materials and process work as assigned to reinforce concepts learned.
3. Review and understand Grange and ISO manuals.
4. Review coverage forms and be able to identify coverage/exclusions within the forms.
5. Become familiar with underwriting tools such as Best Guide, NCCI mod sheets, and D&B Reports to assist in understanding commercial exposure.
6. Understand and apply knowledge of our commercial lines treaty and reinsurance concepts.
7. Utilize customer service skills via telephone and written correspondence. Demonstrate responsiveness to producer needs.
8. Assist with review and completion of various logs and reports.
9. Learn the concept of risk evaluation, selection and pricing for exposure.
1. Work and travel with employees from Claims, Marketing, and Loss Control to understand their roles and responsibilities.
2. Complete quarterly report on progress.
3. Use Grange systems for underwriting analysis, communications, claims, and loss control activity.
4. Analyze competitive trends within marketplace and communicate findings.
5. Perform other projects and duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree & prior insurance experience preferred. Excellent communication, work management, and PC skills and the proven ability to complete multiple tasks within set deadlines. Must possess a willingness to pursue ongoing professional education and to travel as needed.
Grange Mutual Casualty Company - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard