The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Communications Specialist I/II for the HarvestPlus program. HarvestPlus leads a global effort to breed and disseminate nutrient-rich staple food crops to reduce micronutrient malnutrition globally. It is an interdisciplinary program that works with academic and research institutions, civil society organizations, governments, and the private sector in more than 40 countries. HarvestPlus is coordinated by the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) and the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
The successful candidate will be well-rounded and able to perform a range of communications duties as noted below. This exempt position is a one year, fixed term, renewable appointment and is located at IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington, DC. Final grade and title will be determined based on experience.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Maintain and update website—assist with content creation, and development.
- Write articles for newsletters, briefs, online blogs, website, etc.
- Help write and produce newsletters (internal and external)
- Implement social networking (Facebook, Twitter) and other web 2.0 tools to improve program visibility
- Manage publication and distribution of HarvestPlus reports, working papers, and other documents
- Coordinate printing and purchase of HarvestPlus publications and materials with vendors
- Assist in developing and disseminating promotional materials
- Liaise with country offices to provide communications materials and other support
- Provide graphic design and editorial support
- Coordinate logistics and provide support for HarvestPlus events
- Participate in conferences and other events as needed Collect and analyze web, social media, and other statistics to provide support for strategy decisions.
- Assist with knowledge management (e.g. wikis, databases)
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations and reports
- Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, International Development, or related field
o At the Communications Specialist II level a Master’s degree in relevant field is required, as well as 3-5 years’ experience
• At least 1-3 years of relevant experience in communications or development, preferably for an international organization
• Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion, in both verbal and written English communication
• Good project management skills
• Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks
• Conversant in social networking tools
• Ability to work independently and in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams
• Good interpersonal skills
• Professional level of attention to detail and ability to multitask
• Experience in agriculture or nutrition field desirable
• International experience, especially in Asia or Africa
• Fluency in more than one language (French, Spanish)
• Some desktop publishing software knowledge (e.g. PageMaker, InDesign)
• Good copyediting skills
IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute) - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard