The purpose of the Communication Tech IBW:
- Install, monitor, maintain, and repair all switching and/or non-switched circuit equipment and associated transmission equipment for the provisioning of telecommunication services.
- Manage, program, and install high-speed data, internet, and voice services in the network.
- This position may be a combination position and may require the successful candidate to effectively work outside as an installation and repair technician and inside as a central office technician.
- Responsible for programming, installing, and maintenance of central office equipment and all peripheral equipment including, but not limited to, digital/analog equipment such as switching, carrier systems, span lines, high-speed internet, ISDN, voice mail systems, span lines, mobile telephone, pager terminals, Hi-Cap, fiber optics, data circuits, microwave systems, etc.
- Analyze and repair digital equipment using technical meters such as transmission test sets, volt/ohm meters, oscilloscope, TDR’s, OTDR’s (optical meters), BER testers, laptop computers, frequency meters, error rates, and synchronization meters.
- Use a variety of test equipment to isolate, identify, and analyze equipment trouble and take appropriate maintenance action.
- Comprehend and relate complex circuit descriptions of both analog and digital fields.
- Must have the ability to understand flow charts, equipment manuals, technical documentation, and/or computer printouts for the purpose of trouble shooting and maintaining digital and analog systems.
- Must be able to relate with customers and employees, and other department personnel for the purpose of resolving technical problems.
- Advise the Departmental Supervisor of all changes and/or problems on a continuing basis.
- Perform service orders, trouble resolution, provisioning, and work order routines.
- Operate and maintain computer systems and support devices; install and test system upgrades.
- Respond to emergency service-affecting situations.
- Assist in trouble isolation of network and subscriber loop problems.
- Maintain and correct records in all related databases.
- Observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
- Assist other technical personnel in their performance of duties when requested.
- Associate’s degree in electronics, communications or a related field; or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Five years of current experience in a central office, related telephony field, or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Incumbent must be technically proficient in order to perform the specific work requirements of the job in the particular location.
- Ability to achieve required certifications and to successfully complete any required training or coursework.
- Ability to analyze the performance of switching and peripheral data systems and initiate corrective action.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, particularly in detailing technical information.
- Ability to maintain an excellent attendance record.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, be able to safely operate company vehicles and equipment, and maintain a safe driving record.
- Heavy lifting as required.
- Ability to identify and distinguish audible tones/levels.
- Knowledge of transmission and supervision characteristics.
- Must have working knowledge of central office NAP functions.
- Must have working knowledge of PC’s, including basic computer operational tasks.
- Must be able to respond to after hour call-outs, work overtime, shift, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and at various hours of the day/night.
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technology/equipment/platforms.
- May be required to reside within certain proximity of a reporting location.
- Must be able to travel overnight as necessary for business requirements and training.
- Ability to safely climb towers, ladders, and/or poles to inspect antennas and transmission lines, as required.
- SONET Fiber Optic transport experience.
- Network+, A+, CCNA Certifications.
- Certification in CISCO, Microsoft, or other related network/data systems.
- Certification or equivalent training in inter-networking technology and LAN/WAN equipment such as Ethernet switches, routers, ATM, frame relay, IP, and routing protocols.
- Current experience with NGDLC Systems, GTD-5, Siemens MXU 914A and 914E, or Nortel DMS family switches.
- AFC experience. Certification or equivalent training in the maintenance and operation of AFC (DLC), Calix DSL systems, Adtran (DLC), Fujitsu (FO Transport), and Alcatel DSL systems.
- Installation and configuration of network enabling CPE hardware and software for connection to strategic network services to include frame relay, HiCap, xDSL, and other systems utilized by CenturyLink.
- Configure and troubleshoot LAN/WAN systems to include routers, switches, hubs, transceivers, servers, and DSL, as well as, programming ATM based services (i.e. ADSL).
- Knowledge of SS7 networks in theory.
- Experience and/or training in copper transmission systems, fiber optics transmission systems, installation, testing and troubleshooting (DSO, DS2, DS3, SONET, PON, etc.).
- Certification or equivalent training in the maintenance and operation of Voice Mail systems.
- Experience installing and troubleshooting T1 and DS3 circuits, microwave radios, single channel radios and BETS=RS (point to multi-point) radios, digital loop carrier, high-speed internet, voice mail systems, E911 equipment (CML) and services, installation and repair experience.
- DMS-10 or DMS-100 experience
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
- 2 years ago - save job