Community Engagement Coordinator
New York, NY
Uncommon Schools in NYC is a non-profit network of 20 Brooklyn public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college.
Reporting to the Chief External Officer, the NYC Community Engagement Coordinator will work to establish and nurture relationships with 50 key elected and community leaders to ensure they become familiar with the work of Uncommon Schools in Brooklyn. The CEC will also look for and execute on programs and initiatives that more deeply tie our schools to the communities we serve.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Educate community advocates and politicians about the schools through relationship building, visits, community events, etc.
Create opportunities for initiatives involving the community
Track progress around all outreach efforts
Keep up to date on education news
Attend community events regularly in the communities we serve
- Example, I’m Ready for Kindergarten workbooks
Assist FES with voter registration efforts
- Organize visits to elected officials with Uncommon parents
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, or credits toward a Bachelor’s Degree;
- At least three years of work experience;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word and Excel;
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred;
- Knowledge of the NYC education scene is preferred;
- Flexibility of schedule because of both morning and evening meetings
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, PDA, and all necessary supplies.
The foregoing information is requested for mandatory government reporting purposes only.
The 2013 Broad Prize for Public Charter Schools, Uncommon is a nonprofit network of public charter schools in New York, New Jersey and...