The Community Registered Dietitian is responsible for providing excellent customer service by showcasing a helpful, considerate and empathetic nature all customer interactions with a focus on appropriately counseling/educating customers and staff on nutritional issues and preparing, managing and presenting education programs. The Community Registered Dietitian is responsible for providing our customers and associates with inspiring health, wellness and value-oriented solutions that can be easily incorporated into their shopping experience and everyday lives.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assist customers and builds relationships with them to enhance the customer experience.
- Greets, offers and thanks customers using their name with a positive, friendly attitude.
- Provide friendly, helpful customer support face to face and when responding to customer inquiries and questions via phone and email.
- Provide counseling and instruction to customers in nutritional principles, diet, food selection and adapts teaching plans to individual life style without judgment and in line with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics code of ethics and working in tandem with patient’s physician/personal medical team. Must also abide by state licensure guidelines.
- Develop communication plans to utilize during customer interaction when on the sales floor.
- Apply specialized knowledge and techniques to nutrition issues of customers.
- Show a high level of sensitivity around food selection when providing instruction to customers.
- Develop and analyze healthy meal solutions/recipes for customers and develop menus.
- Answer customer questions and researches special requests from customers
- Develop informative, exciting events in-store such as tours and other educational programs with pharmacy staff and all grocery departments such as Eating Healthy with Diabetes Tours and heart smart menu planning classes.
- Offer clinical program support through partnering with in-store pharmacy department in developing educational materials and programming for specific health conditions.
- May use lab testing devices such as Cholestech (cholesterol test), glucose meter, blood pressure cuff and have daily exposure to blood.
- Assist the pharmacy staff in understanding any food related allergies customers may have in addition to answering basic nutrition questions relating to customer medical history. Work in tandem with pharmacist to educate on food/drug interactions and other aspects of medical nutrition therapy.
- Implement programs relating to nutrition, health, wellness and disease management.
- Performs all steps necessary to bill customers insurance company for services performed when appropriate
- Assists patients in setting appointments with Clinical Pharmacist when needed.
- Promotes all dietitian and pharmacist-provided clinical services to customers.
- Participates in tastings/samplings of healthy food options with store to increase awareness and sales of appropriate items.
- Develop item of the week and/or meal of the week program, focusing on highlighting shelf stable grocery items paired with fresh items.
- Research, lead and evaluate team members in regards to nutritional planning in each department.
- Provide health and wellness and nutrition education to associates.
- Stay on-top of trends, nutrition research, competitive and industry news and provide recommendations based on this information.
- Complete media training/appropriate internal communications training
- Provide hyper-local and division support through media events in conjunction with communications/PR, large scale community events and in-store events.
- Support/execute in-store, social media and interactive teams through content, health condition and product content in partnership with lead dietitian.
- Completes company HIPAA training and respects customer confidentiality in accordance with regulations.
- Work with vendor partners and credible organizations (ADA, AHA, NHLBI, commodity boards, etc.) to gather handouts, recipes, and healthful coupons for customers.
- Markets nutrition, health and wellness programs to community groups and seek to establish strategic partnerships with third parties such as physicians, health related non-profit organizations, hospitals, clinics, businesses and other registered dietitians.
- Provide consultation to and work with community groups.
- Plan or participates in development of program proposals for funding.
- Develop and deliver in-store radio announcements, handouts, and signage pertinent to events to maintain the company voice/image in all materials.
- Participate in continuing education to maintain registration and licensing credentials.
- Adheres to all company polices.
- This position works closely with the store directors, department managers and pharmacists.
Relevant Experience, Education, Certification, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Registered Dietitian with a minimum of 3-5 years of experience preferred.
- Licensed in home state if required.
- Comfortable approaching and engaging customers.
- Passion for health and wellness field required.
- Must possess a strong knowledge of food ingredients and the ability to explore food ingredient lists.
- Clinical experience is a plus
- Ability to apply logical and strategic thinking to solve problems
- Possess good communication skills, both verbal and written. Good public relations, interpersonal and letter composition skills required.
- Social media knowledge
- Must possess the ability to work with and through others effectively and cooperatively to achieve desired results. Contributing to a cooperative, teamwork atmosphere is considered essential to the effectiveness of this position.
- Microsoft office skills essential
- Medical charting skills required
- Must be capable of working independently.
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policy and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified may vary within each department and/or location.
- Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled grocery store.
- May use lab testing devices such as Cholestech (cholesterol test), glucose meter, blood pressure cuff. There is daily exposure to blood.
- Walking, Standing, Stooping, bending, twisting and reaching is required in completion of job duties.
- Incumbent may use calculators, computer, keyboards, telephone, fax machine, copier, ladder and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Work week will require a variable schedule to meet the needs of our customers.
- Some travel may be required