POSITION TITLE: Safety and Compliance Monitor
REPORTS TO: Center Manager
The Safety and Compliance Monitor supports the compliance of the centers with Licensing and other applicable rules and regulations including health, safety, facilities, records and other related areas.
This incumbent needs to possess basic understanding of the operations of a center and this primary role will be actively conducting monitoring of supervision requirements in and outside the classrooms and during transitions to create a safe environment for children. The Monitor will also identify any facility issues within the center affecting safety and compliance and notify other Teaching Staff or Site Supervisor and work together or individually to rectify the issues immediately.
This position is typically utilized for safety and compliance only and not to staff for ratio purposes, substitute personnel, and /or to fulfill staffing program needs for centers; but may be put as part of staffing ratio when necessary.
o Conducting regular headcount of the children in the classroom/group
- Reinforces the supervision of children to ensure compliance by:
o Writing the headcount on the board.
o Documenting the headcount onto the headcount sheet.
o Announcing verbally to other teachers when children enter and exit the program.
o Monitoring through visual and/or auditory supervision of children going to the bathroom during the day in line with Title 22 of the Licensing requirements for the respective age groups; and transitioning of the program from inside to outside or vice versa.
o Alerting the Site Supervisor immediately when a teacher in ratio is stepping away
Note: this list highlights the main areas and is not exhaustive.
o Conducting checks on the indoor facilities for any trip hazards or safety hazards, for example, curling rugs, water, markers on the floor.
- Ensures the compliance of safety of the facilities by:
o Ensuring cabinets with chemicals and medication are locked and separate from food.
o Ensuring the center is tidy and clean and inform the Site Supervisor of any items or areas that require attention or repairs
o Ensuring gates are locked at all times and all center equipments are in appropriate place and in safe operating conditions.
o Performing daily outdoor environmental checklist.
o Communicating with other Teachers to address safety issues immediately and notifying Site Supervisor of any unsafe areas or equipments.
Note: this list highlights the main areas and is not exhaustive.
- Monitors the children’s sign in and out sheets to ensure completeness and full signatures are obtained; reviews departure list, ratio count sheets and Master list.
- Completes the Licensing Checklist monthly and notifies the Site Supervisor of deficiencies.
- Responsible for assisting and ensuring safety of children and staff in events away from the center such as field trips, school events, and festivals.
- Assists in setting up records for children and staff in line with Licensing record-keeping requirements.
- May perform other audits or implement any new processes or procedures in health and safety compliance under the guidance of the Site Supervisor.
- Ensure that all safety and supervision policies and procedures are being implemented within the center in compliance with Title 22.
- Communicate with other Teachers on supervision and safety issues and work with other staff in resolving those issues immediately.
- Report any necessary health and safety issues to management as appropriate.
- Establishes strong relationships and connections with parents, staff, and students so that communications and initiatives around safety and compliance can be implemented effectively through partnerships at all levels.
Program Operations – Masters foundation level in program operations; reports and records accidents and injuries to the appropriate parties in a timely manner; follows proper procedures in reporting extraordinary incidents such as Child Abuse; performs regular checking into health and safety issues; maintains knowledge of opening and closing procedures.
Financial Operations – Masters foundation level in financial operations; maintains updated and accurate data related to children, family, enrollments and fees; and provides timely and accurate reports.
Communication - Masters foundation level in communication skills; selects the most appropriate method to deliver a message; presents written and verbal information clearly and concisely in one-on-one situations or small groups; actively listens to the content of information; asks open-ended questions to clarify understanding.
Interpersonal Effectiveness - Masters foundation level in interpersonal effectiveness; demonstrates acceptable social practices; recognizes obvious emotions being expressed; listens carefully and understands the content of communication; asks questions to confirm the speaker’s message.
Teamwork - Masters foundation level in teamwork; Understands individual and team goals; shares information and knowledge with team members; understands own role in supporting the objectives of the group; keeps the team informed of own activities, ideas and decisions; plays an active part in team activities by contributing ideas and suggestions.
Critical Thinking & Problem Solving - Masters foundation level in critical thinking abilities; gathers facts and information pertaining to the issue or situation; analyses relationships between parts of a problem or situation and develops solutions on recurring problems based on past practices.
Customer Orientation - Masters foundation level in customer relationship; maintains regular communication with customers; promptly responds to customer enquiries; advises customer about actions being taken; actively seeks feedback from customers.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school or GED required.
- A minimum of 12 ECE units from an accredited college or equivalent; Assistant or Associate Level Permit preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience working in an early education center in a teaching or administrative position highly desirable.
- Knowledge or Training in the areas of Supervision of Children, Children’s Personal Rights, Mandated reporting and Title 22 a plus.
- Effective communications skills and the ability to use sound judgments.
- Good observation technique and attention to details in a fluid work environment.
- Possess interest in a career on Safety, Supervision and Compliance with children a must.
- Hours: Monday to Friday