UALR Functional Title
Computer Systems Technician / R98171
The candidate will troubleshoot and problem solve to resolve hardware and software conflicts and failures on the workstation as well as the network. Responsible for the maintenance analysis and functionality of the college’s relational database.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Create specialized reports by integrating data from multiple data sources collected internally by the college and external sources.
- Create and maintain databases through use of MS SQL Server and Microsoft Access, and develop appropriate queries and adhoc reports using SQL . An SQL test will be administered during the interview process.
- Install, patch, and maintain Microsoft Windows Server and SQL Server with a formal approach to change process.
- Administer Level BASIS ET692 database for users, authorizations and profiles.
- Respond to complex and specialized product requests and recommend courses of action.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for necessary adjustments to applications to satisfy user requirements.
- Provide recommendations to faculty and staff on the applications of software and purchase of user hardware/software.
- Research and evaluate current and future computer related technology for use by College faculty and staff and in College computer labs, classrooms, and meeting rooms.
- Build, manage, and support college websites using HTML and WordPress.
- Attend meetings, generate reports, requisitions, planning documents, conduct and maintain inventory.
- Performs other duties as necessary and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
’s goals and objectives.
Demonstrated technical competency.
Ability to use and assist with instructional technology (smart board, Blackboard or equivalent, mobile devices, etc.)
Good written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
Strong technical documentation skills.
Ability to conduct research into server and operating system issues, standards.
Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
Highly self motivated and directed
Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
Commitment to excellent customer service.
Ability to work as a member of a team in a collaborative environment.
Required Education and/or Experience
A bachelor’s degree; plus one year of experience in computer applications or related area and one year in a leadership capacity.
- Knowledge of typical enterprise computing standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of computing system hardware, operating systems, and application software, including principles, configuration, installation, problem solving.
- Knowledge of systems programming languages, especially SQL .
- Knowledge of and experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, In Design, etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Productivity Suite (Word, Excel, Access, etc.)
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop systematic approach to resolve them.
- Ability to follow complex procedures in a methodical manner.
- Ability to analyze and deploy new technology from available technical documentation.
- Ability to perform critical tasks carefully without error.
- Good understanding of a higher education institution
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree with a major in computer applications, computer science or a related field.
Background Check Requirements
01 - Criminal/Financial
Lifting 5 -10 lbs: Occasionally, Lifting 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Lifting 25-50 lbs: Occasionally, Lifting 50 plus lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 5-10 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 25-50 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 50 plus lbs: Occasionally, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Candidates may be required to demonstrate skills and knowledge base regarding technology and software.
University of Arkansas is home to the RFID Research Laboratory, an EPCGlobal-accredited Performance Test Center.