Location: Information Technology
Full-Time Position (1.0 FTE)
Position Summary: This is an entry/junior level computer technician position responsible for providing support to end users by performing a variety of duties related to the function and operation of computer workstations (PC and Mac) and peripherals for internal users. Work is closely supervised where the supervisor, or team lead, provides regular guidance. The incumbent receives guidance from peers when issues arise. The position is located within the District's Information Technology (IT) department. The incumbent troubleshoots and resolves routine, first level inquiries or issues with computer software and hardware problems and refers more complex issues to higher-level staff for resolution.
Distinguishing Characteristics: This is the entry/trainee technician level working under close supervision, and with substantial guidance from team lead and/or supervisor. Work assignments are well defined by supervisor and/or higher level IT staff who regularly monitor work progress and provide specific instruction and feedback. Work is intended to familiarize employees with the policies and procedures of the school district and the IT department, and requires the application of basic principles of computer systems administration in an on-the-job environment. The individual in this position applies basic skills and may develop advanced skills using tools and equipment appropriate for the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Basic principles and practices of personal computers, peripherals, networks and computer applications such as office productivity suites, internet browsers and other standard business applications.
- Basic troubleshooting techniques.
- Basic understanding of computer workstation operating systems and associated software.
- Basic understanding of workstation management and software installation; curriculum-based software desired.
- Basics of instructional assistance and training techniques.
- Basic hardware repair/replacement.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Efficiently use recordkeeping skills.
- Plan and prioritize workload requirements including scheduling and organizing multiple tasks.
- Analyze and define client equipment and software requirements for multiple desktop systems.
- Maintain effective working relationships with other staff, students, and the general public.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality, and able to work a flexible schedule which may include hours outside the regular workday.
- Travel to/from district schools/department.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year of experience in an Information Technology or telecommunications environment that involved operating a variety of personal computers, and familiarity with applications and telecommunications functions, or maintaining personal computers, networks and peripherals.
Compensation: This is a full-time 12-month position working 37.5 hours/week with a starting salary of $20.96 per hour plus the District's excellent benefit package including health, dental, vision and life insurance, Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and paid sick and vacation days.
Selected hire will be fingerprinted at applicant's expense and fingerprints forwarded to the Alaska State Troopers and the FBI for a records check.
To apply, visit our website at www.juneauschools.org/hr.