Alfred Benesch & Co., a multi-disciplined civil, structural, geotechnical and environmental engineering firm has an immediate opportunity for a Senior Level Construction Technician to support our Michigan offices (Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, East Lansing.)
Summary : This is a technical leadership position that requires the successful candidate to possess the skills and self-motivation to drive the technical construction efforts with our Michigan projects. The candidate must have a minimum of ten years of experience working on MDOT projects. Current MDOT certifications a plus.
Education: Degree in Civil Technology and/or related degree in Concrete Technology, Materials Technology, Construction Management or 4 year Degree in Construction Management
Experience: 10 years + of experience working on MDOT led projects in the field. Must have the ability to apply knowledge of AASHTO and MDOT standards and procedures for construction projects on state and local routes under jurisdiction authority of MDOT, Local Agency/Municipal and/or private development works in Michigan.
Certifications: Possess a minimum of 2 current MDOT certifications.
Project Related Description of Duties:
Michigan Qualifying Highway, Bridge, Building Infrastructure Construction Related Experience:
- Aggregate Testing- Perform aggregate testing services.
- Bituminous Pavement Inspection- Perform bituminous pavement inspection services including but not limited to yield calculations, temperature checks, width and alignment checks, joint layouts, visual inspection of the pavement mat, slope and grade checks, traffic control operations related to paving, sampling and core location determination, witnessing of ride quality and contractor workmanship
- Density Inspection & Testing- Perform density inspection and acceptance testing for density on structure backfill, structure embankment, engineered embankment, and pavement support structure in accordance with procedures and specifications.
- Bridge Construction Engineering- Perform construction engineering, inspection and testing services on new and rehabilitation bridge projects. This includes project administration; inspection; quality control testing and reporting; measurement, computation, and documentation of quantities; reporting and record keeping; and finalling all project documentation; for construction work to be performed by the Construction Contractor until completion of work by the Construction Contractor and acceptance of the Project.
- Bridge Painting Inspection- Perform inspection services for partial and full painting of bridges.
- Portland Cement Concrete Inspection & Testing- Perform Portland cement concrete inspection and testing services.
- Road Construction Engineering- Perform construction engineering, inspection and testing services on new and rehabilitation road projects. This includes project administration; inspection; quality assurance testing and reporting; measurement, computation, and documentation of quantities; reporting and record keeping; and finalling all project documentation; for construction work to be performed by the Construction Contractor until completion of work by the Construction Contractor and acceptance of the Project.
- Technical Assistance- Perform technical assistance services for project documentation procedures including project close outs, local agency project oversight, and office technician services.
- Traffic & Safety Inspection Services- Perform inspection services for proper design, placement, uniformity, and operation of traffic control and safety devices. This includes inspection of pavement markings, traffic signal support structures, signing, guardrails, impact attenuators, work zone traffic control setup and removal operations, etc.
- Aggregate testing services.
- Bituminous pavement inspection services.
- Current, qualifying experience in density inspection and testing services.
- Portland cement concrete inspection and testing services.
- Bridge construction engineering.
- Road construction engineering.
- Areas in MDOT’s project documentation procedures for project close outs, local agency project oversight procedures, FieldManager experience, and MDOT’s project materials documentation procedures/requirements.
- Traffic inspection services.
- Bridge painting inspection experience on MDOT structures.
- Areas of construction project records reviews, contractor’s claim procedures, documentation, and reviews, developing or reviewing “Critical Path Networks” for progress clauses and progress schedules, Value Engineering proposal evaluations, construction paving projects, bridge construction, development of special contract language or specification writing, ride quality measurements, environmental/soil erosion methods, measures, and requirements, grading & drainage construction, traffic and safety (signs, signals, guardrail, etc.) projects, experience with warranty road projects, utility coordination work, concrete or hot mix asphalt quality assurance and quality control, contractor staking projects.
MDOT Field Inspection Manuals:
- FieldManager Suite of Software and/or FieldBook Training
- MDOT Office Technician Certificate
- Michigan Certified Aggregate Technician
- Michigan Concrete Field Testing – Level 1 (MCA or MCPA)
- MDOT Bituminous Paving OR Michigan Bituminous Paving Operations
- MDOT Density Technology Certification
- Radiation Safety Training
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) Coating Inspector Program 1; or Society for Protective Coatings (SSPC) - Fundamentals of Protective Coatings for Industrial Structures(C-1); or completion certificate for FHWA NHI 130079, Bridge Coatings Inspection course or similar recognized professional bridge paint inspection training course
MDOT Project Related Design Manuals :
- Understanding, knowledge and ability to use the following MDOT Field Inspection Manuals:
- MDOT Standard Specifications for Construction
- MDOT Construction Manual
- MDOT Road and Bridge Standard Plans
- MDOT Materials Quality Assurance Procedures Manual
- Applicable Michigan Test Methods
- Procedures for Aggregate Inspection
- MDOT Sampling Guide
- Density Control Handbook
- MDOT Hot Mix Asphalt QC/QA Procedures Manual
- MDOT HMA Production Manual
Alfred Benesch & Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action/ Vietnam Era Veteran/ Disabled Employer.
- Awareness and understanding of the following MDOT manuals:
- AASHTO Roadside Design Guide
- Michigan Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MMUTCD)
- Michigan Bridge Design Guide
- Michigan Road Design Manual
- Michigan Bridge Design Manual
- MDOT standards and procedures regarding the design, placement, uniformity, and operation of traffic control and safety devices.
Benesch - 13 months ago
Benesch designs complex highway interchanges, major river bridges, parking structures and structural systems for high-rise buildings. We...