The Level 2 Tech works with all Construction staff at building, operating, and maintaining AMC facilities. The Level 2 Tech has proven trade skills and exhibits both the desire and the ability to be an integral part of our technical team, reporting to the Construction Manager and will be based at both Pinkham Notch and the Highland Center .
The Level 2 Tech will exhibit solid trade skills including, but not limited to; carpentry, plumbing, gas fitting, electrical, mechanics, general maintenance, welding and torches, small engine repair, and/or HVAC principles; and must show excellent knowledge in a specific trade area as defined by the Construction Manager. The Level 2 Tech is expected to be able to hike on a daily basis to and from backcountry work locations.
The Level 2 Tech will be expected to orchestrate small projects and manage work crews of 2-10 people on projects at any AMC facility. The Level 2 Tech may be required to lead work projects for up to two weeks at a time at detached AMC facilities requiring the employee to be away from home and potentially staying in remote locations with limited amenities.
The ideal Level 2 will have a solid knowledge of AMC facilities and system operations, will typically have worked through at least two operational cycles, or have proven adequate understanding of the cyclic expectations. All Techs will be required to work within the department to provide facility Holiday coverage for year round Technical and Operational support.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Qualifications for employment
- Provide 24 hour service response for AMC facilities with no supervision.
- Understand, troubleshoot, and be able to provide basic technical information to onsite facility personnel.
- Work with basic facility systems including, but not limited to: propane, potable water, wastewater, fire/ smoke detection, low voltage DC electrical and solid waste. Be able to provide onsite Facility Orientations to backcountry personnel; this includes transferring technical and operational information on all systems to Hut Crews and USFS personnel.
- Work with other construction staff to provide a safe and efficient shop and job site.
- Perform helicopter safety and rigging tasks; work as either Top or Bottom Crew Chief during lift work; managing the safety, technical oversight and lift crew, as well as public and facility operational personnel.
- Must be able to lead lift crews with little supervision, excellent lift site overview, excellent safety awareness, and complete confidence.
- Work with other Construction staff to provide 24 hour coverage for winter snow removal. This includes operating heavy machinery with no supervision.
- Obtain education/certification in one or more of the following areas (as determined by Construction Manager); alternative energy, waste water disposal, fire safety, life safety, Class 1A H2O system operations, or other as needed. All certifications will be trade specific, paid for and sanctioned by the AMC. It will be the responsibility of the Tech 2 to stay current with necessary recertification and continuing education; scheduling to be approved by CC Manager.
- Help CC Staff provide all means of maintenance needed for safe and clean operation of AMC facilities.
- Work with the senior CC Staff to represent the needs of the department to other AMC staff pertaining to Capital Projects list and ongoing Maintenance expectations. As needed, serve as liaison to USFS and general public during location inspections and projects.
- The Level 2 Tech is expected to work within safe guidelines and industry parameters to insure safe project worksites, facilities and practices. It is critical that the Level 2 recognize, practice and teach safe work habits.
Compensation and Benefits
- 2 years of related work experience with proven diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
- Understanding of and ability to deal safely with potentially hazardous work environments, conditions and practices.
- Self motivation and good communication skills.
- Solid understanding of plumbing, electrical, carpentry and mechanics as defined by the CC Manager.
- Valid Drivers License.
- High School Education or equivalent.
- Ability to perform physically laborious tasks for days.
- Must be able to maintain flexible work/ off time.
- Basic computer skills (Excel, Word, web searches).
- Physical Abilities required: ability to perform physically laborious tasks for multiple days. Ability to travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions carrying up to 50 pounds of personal gear and work equipment.
This is a year round full time position that offers reasonable pay and excellent benefits. This is a non-exempt position, with hourly pay based on a 40-hour workweek, with overtime pay for any hours over 40 worked in one workweek. Compensation is based on experience, education and pertinent licenses and certifications. Benefits include 3 weeks paid vacation, partially paid medical insurance, life and disability insurance and more.
Please send a letter of intent, resume and salary requirements to
PO Box 298
Gorham, NH 03581
The Appalachian Mountain Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AMC values diversity in the workplace. Founded in 1876, the AMC ( www.outdoors.org ) is the oldest conservation and recreation organization in the United States. The AMC has 12 Chapters throughout the East and over 90,000 members. The AMC promotes the protection, enjoyment, and wise use of the mountains, rivers and trails of the Appalachian region. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.
Appalachian Mountain Club - 10 months ago