This is technical work inspecting construction projects for compliance with applicable building codes. The work requires knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures used to inspect construction projects, which are gained through specialized training and job experiences. Contacts require influencing people's behavior and assertiveness when issuing citations to enforce compliance with applicable code regulations. The work is standardized in that tasks are covered by substantially diversified procedures and specialized standards requiring use of judgment. Work is performed in a field environment where risks and hazards are substantial, but are known, somewhat predictable and mostly controllable. Operates and/or uses standard office equipment such as telephone and personal computer, motor vehicle, hand tools, and standard measuring devices. The physical demands consist of driving, sitting, climbing, standing, walking, and occasional lifting of objects weighing up to 40 pounds. The work is performed under limited supervision where assignments are subject to established practices and procedures covered by methods and techniques and reviewed for quality, adherence to established methods, standards and policies.
Examples of Work:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Investigates reported code violations and secures evidence in cases of violation.
- Inspects construction projects to ensure compliance with applicable codes and construction practices.
- Enters inspection and investigation results into a computer and prepares written notes for the construction site.
- Halts construction project if in non-compliance.
- Consults with and instructs contractors on applicable codes and corrective action.
- Reads construction drawings and plans.
- Issues building code citations and presents cases before regulatory agencies.
- Operates a computer using inspection software.
- Operates a motor vehicle.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville Core Competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information:
- Knowledge of applicable codes, standards and regulations.
- Knowledge of techniques, methods, procedures, and terminology used in building construction.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations including basic geometry.
- Ability to inspect buildings, land and structures.
- Ability to detect and locate defective workmanship and materials.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, orally and in writing.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time, including sitting, climbing, and occasional lifting of objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment such as telephone and personal computer.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- A five (5) year combination of education, training, and experience at a technical or professional level in the construction trade of building which must include at least one (1) year of experience.
The requirements are dependent upon the activity to which the position is assigned, as follows: (Failure to obtain and maintain any of the required certifications may be cause for termination.)
- If not already certified by the State of Florida as a Building Inspector, must process an application for a provisional State of Florida Certificate as a Building Inspector within one (1) month of appointment.
- Must possess or obtain within three (3) months of appointment a provisional State of Florida Certificate as a Building Inspector.
- Must possess or obtain within thirty-six (36) months of receiving provisional certification, a standard State of Florida Certificate as a Building Inspector and must maintain same during employment in this class.
- Must qualify for prior to appointment, obtain, and maintain during employment in this class a City of Jacksonville Certification as a Public Driver.
- A valid Florida Driver's License is required prior to appointment and must be maintained during employment in this class.
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net and if claiming veteran’s preference, attach DD-214 (Form 4), by Friday, April 1, 2013, for consideration.
- May be required to furnish and operate an automobile in good condition for use in City business for which mileage compensation will be paid.
- In accordance with the City of Jacksonville Ordinance 116.910, effective July 1 2012, any person who is hired or appointed by the City of Jacksonville and does not reside within Duval County at the time of hire, will have six (6) months to establish permanent residency within the boundaries of Duval County. Failure to establish permanent residency within six (6) months shall constitute resignation from employment. Effective July 1 2012, any person who is hired or appointed by the City of Jacksonville and does reside within Duval County at the time of hire, but subsequently moves his/her permanent residence outside the boundaries of Duval County, shall constitute resignation from employment.
City of Jacksonville, FL - 17 months ago