Our respected networking equipment client needs a mid-level Contract-to-Staff Technical Writer to document software and hardware for their business networking, storage, and security products.
You’ll work entirely onsite in San Jose using FrameMaker 10, Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro to coordinate and create task-based documentation about routers for mid-market (sub-500 employee) companies and remote offices or departments within larger enterprises. You’ll also update and augment hardware and software documentation for storage and security products for audiences with a wide range of technical knowledge.
Key to your success in this role will be your project-management prowess. Specifically, you’ll need to gather, clarify, resolve, and distill technical and logistical information from a range of internal sources (including local and remote software and hardware engineers, product managers, QA, tech support, and marketing teams) for external ones (including other tech writers, production and localization teams, and management) about multiple concurrent deliverables.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished software and/or hardware procedures writer who has worked in the networking industry creating installation, configuration, and troubleshooting content. Your knowledge of networking, however, is not as important as a positive, solution-focused outlook – and a mind like a steel trap – to track and update myriad dynamic variables about 20+ products reliably.
This will be full-time (40 hours/week), fully onsite work in San Jose for six (6) months. There are global conference calls at 5pm twice a week requiring your in-person participation. The contract could extend, but for the right person this client would prefer to convert you to staff status. While on contract, you’d be paid on a 1099 basis, unless you prefer W2. As an employee, you’d get a competitive salary and complete benefits.
- Experience creating task-base documentation in a fast-paced business environment
- Strong project management skills, detail-orientation, and focus on productivity
- Versatility, to adapt to constantly changing priorities
- Full-time availability
- Sharable, relevant writing samples and reachable references
- Ability to work in San Jose, CA (traveling at your own expense)
To apply :
- Experience creating installation, configuration, and troubleshooting documentation about networking hardware and/or software products
- Conceptual understanding of routers, switches, disk-based storage, and network security
- Proficiency with Adobe FrameMaker (unstructured), Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro
- Working knowledge of print and online document delivery
- Familiarity with task-based technical writing principles and single-sourcing
Please visit contentrules.com/apply, citing “CSS-338″ in the Job Code field.
Note : Content Rules has many content-development opportunities with SF Bay Area technology companies. Visit www.contentrules.com/jobs for details.