General Statement of Duties
Prepares, seasons, and cooks a wide variety of meats, vegetables, soups, breakfast dishes, and other food items in appropriate quantities while following menus, recipes, and production sheets and maintaining a clean and sanitary work area. Provides training and guidance to other employees performing related work.
Essential Job Functions
1. Obtains food ingredients and supplies from storage areas as required for daily operations.
2. Reviews production schedule to determine food requirements including variety and quantity of food for preparation and to assemble supplies and equipment needed for daily cooking activities.
3. Seasons and prepares a wide variety of foods such as vegetables, fruits, meats, soups, salads, and cereals in accordance with prescribed recipes for regular and special diets. May prepare the food for catered events.
4. Instructs and functionally supervises the activities of other employees performing the same or related duties.
5. Demonstrates, understands, and practices safe food handling techniques including dating/labeling, time/temperature measurements, correcting critical control issues.
6. Attends to day-to-day problems and needs concerning equipment and food supplies; detects and ensures disposition of spoiled or unattractive food, defective supplies/equipment, and/or other unusual conditions.
Job Description Appendix A:
Environmental and Physical Demands/Hazardous Conditions
( X ) INSIDE: Spends approximately 40hours or more per week inside.
( ) OUTSIDE: Spend approximately __ hours per week outside (driving/running work related errands).
( ) BOTH: The activities occur inside and outside in approximately equal amounts.
WORK POSITIONS: (defined in 5% increments of work time): Sitting 0
( ) SEDENTARY WORK: Lifting 10 lbs. maximum and occasional lifting and/or carrying articles.
( ) LIGHT WORK: Lifting 20 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying articles weighing up to 10 lbs.
( X) MEDIUM WORK: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
( ) HEAVY WORK: Lifting 100 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
( ) VERY HEAVY WORK: Lifting objects in excess of 100 lbs. with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing more than 50 lbs.
( ) Ability to lift, push and pull with assistance (mechanical or co-worker) the weight of an average patient specific to the department.
Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics (KSAOs
Minimum Education and Experience
2 years food service experience required
Minimum License and Certificates Required
: Food Protection Manager Certification preferred.
Supervised By: Food Service Lead Cook/Supervisors/ Manager/Director
Supervision Of: Food Service Staff including: Cooks I,
Metropolitan Methodist Hospital is truly downtown San Antonio’s most comprehensive hospital, providing a wide-range of health care...