JOB TITLE : COOK
REPORTS TO: Food Service Manager
RESPONSIBILITIES : Responsible for preparing meals for the residents which meet their individual needs and preparing meals for special events as needed. The cook is responsible for ensuring the quality of prepared food items, the service to residents and the safety and sanitation of the Nutrition Services Department are priorities.
· One year cooking experience in a healthcare setting is preferred. Other cooking experience or successful completion of a cook’s training program (not a class) will be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) preferred
- Must have knowledge of food preparation, sanitation, and hygienic methods
· Ability to understand, remember and carry out oral and written instructions in English
· Must be able to follow recipes and use some basic math
1. Prepares all food items on menu according to pre-determined recipes.
2. Follow safety and sanitation policies and procedures. This includes cleaning assignments as scheduled, cleaning equipment and following all safety rules to protect self, other employees, residents and guests. Follow all sanitation policies and procedures for food storage preparation and transport.
3. Preparation of resident meal trays and checking all items on tray to ensure meal items meet prescribed individual resident needs as directed by nursing, dietician, and/or physician.
Must work with other staff on planning food production for the current day and following days.
5. Unload and stock all sizes and weights of food items and supplies on shelves and in the walk-in freezers and refrigerators after deliveries. This requires the ability to safely bend, lift large, heavy boxes to shoulder height. Must be able to withstand extreme temperature variations of the kitchen and walk-in freezers and refrigerators.
6. Report all accident/injuries to supervisor or nursing manager or duty if food Service Manager is not on duty.
7. Must be capable of maintaining regular attendance in accordance with facility absence policies.
8. Uses tactful, appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional
9. Promotes positive public relations with patients, residents, family
members and guests.
10. Use appropriate work place behavior and adhere to dress code at all times.
1. Insure that all areas are secure and food is properly stored prior to leaving
2. Cross-train for nutrition services aide position
3. Required to attend department and facility in-service training as scheduled
4. Perform other duties as assigned.
WORK SCHEDULE As assigned; including some weekends, evenings and holidays. Non-Exempt Position
Physical Requirements: Able to lift 50 pounds for routine performance of essential functions.