This position is an office support position being responsible: for coordinating support activities and providing staff assistance in the maintenance of and reporting from a university-wide academic advising system (database); and for providing office administrative support for the UMKC University College.
Academic Advising Data Base Operations
- Oversee all data entry for university academic advising system. Ensure data is reconciled with all users and sources of information being captured and stored by the data base. Investigate potential and real errors and correct their source. May be required to secure assistance from others not having direct authority over or interest in data being maintained.
- Oversee all information preparation prior to entry into the database. Assess processes for efficiencies and data accuracy; preparing recommendations on improvements. Work with all student support departments in performing assessments, identifying improvements and training in operating procedures.
- Ensure that support and operating software is current and working efficiently. Schedule technical support for installation of software updates and set-up/implementation of advising systems. Work with others to make changes as needed.
- Gather, organize and summarize information requested to provide information necessary for meetings, conferences etc. using research techniques. Schedule facilities, services and equipment.
- Serve as Administrative Assistant for the University College independently composing correspondence, scheduling appointments, meetings and all arrangements, greet/provide information and assistance to visitors, answer department phones and answer routine office inquiries using own knowledge of office policies and procedures.
- Review/approve requests for services in the department in order to ensure they are provided and to maintain record of services used.
- Prepare financial statements, collect fiscal information, complete forms, compile research, create/design forms, review and reconcile miscellaneous accounts, advise management of problems, prepare vouchers, respond to customer and department inquiries, review/verify department income and expenses and make corrections as appropriate, and order supplies and equipment.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet and database software to create correspondence, charts, tables, reports, etc., maintain/update discs to keep the system operating at optimum level, manage storage of information, and transmit information electronically. Use the internet to do research as requested.
- Complete staff forms (PAF) to initiate a personnel action on new or current employees using own knowledge of personnel policies and procedures, verify information on monthly and biweekly payroll and make corrections, calculate/record vacation and sick leave accrual and usage for department staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
General supervision is received from the Associate Vice Provost for University College.
Functional supervision may be exercised over part-time student employees.
A high school diploma or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
Three years responsible office experience or three years of related education or training beyond high school.
The ability to type may be necessary depending upon the position available.
Demonstrated ability in establishing rapport with students, parents, and university faculty and staff.
Experience with relevant computerized student information systems and grant writing experience a plus.
Successful candidates will have knowledge of working with Microsoft and web page programs.
Strong written and verbal communication skills are required as well as a proven ability to work in a professional manner with diverse groups of people, including students, faculty, staff and community partners.
Full Time/Part Time
$12.50 - $16.00 per hour
The posting will remain open until filled.
UMKC cannot accept applications submitted via postal mail or e-mail.
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachments. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
For questions about how applicants apply, please call (816) 235-1621, or if you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
Selected candidate must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check.