First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
As a part of the First Wind legal team, this Corporate Paralegal position will provide support to the legal staff in furtherance of First Winds business strategy to develop, own and operate utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. In this role, the Corporate Paralegal must have the ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete under time constraints. Attention to detail, organizational, team collaboration and proficient proof-reading skills are a must.
· Participate in meetings and conference calls with internal and external parties relating to development, finance, construction and operation of projects.
· Assist attorneys and business clients with reviewing and coordinating finance, acquisition and other transaction closings including preparation and execution of various transaction documents. Assist in the creation and management of closing checklists. Coordinate closing deliveries, signature pages, et cetera. Assist with delivery of notices and requests for consent/waivers. Coordinate with outside counsel on closing and post-closing matters.
· Draft consents, certificates, notices and other minor agreements under attorney supervision. Draft simple clauses and agreements, where appropriate, and support our attorneys and business clients with more negotiation of more complex agreements. Review modifications, extensions and amendments to contracts, with guidance from attorneys as appropriate.
· Assist attorneys with acquisition and financing diligence requests
- incoming and outgoing, with the ability to provide on-line database permissions.
· Manage discovery and other litigation- and regulatory-related demands/requests for information.
· Familiarity with real estate transactions, including ability to prepare lease abstracts, and enter lease/easement payments and other data in our lease tracking software, a plus.
· Understand the business needs and priorities to be able effectively to communicate the status of any contract and to manage the flow and priorities of the contract review process to meet business deadlines.
· Oversee outside counsel engagements, including creation and management of requisitions and invoice payments.
· Bachelors degree or paralegal certification required. Must possess at least 10 years of transactional Paralegal experience, including due diligence, complex corporate transactions, and other general corporate paralegal work.
· Experience as in-house paralegal and/or as a billing coordinator preferred but not required. Training with law firm preferred.
· High level of oral and written communication skills with ability to interpret and communicate company policies effectively. Very high level of attention to detail.
· Ability to work under a high level of pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Ability to solve problems and prioritize. Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and juggle shifting priorities.
· Experience in providing a high level of customer service to internal and external clients. Excellent interpersonal skills with people at all levels within an organization.
· Solid skills and experience with Microsoft Office software, especially Word and Excel, along with general computer skills and experience with internet searches. General database experience desired.
· Demonstrated ability to act with discretion and judgment and maintain confidentiality.
At First Wind, wind is the first and last item in its business model. The vertically integrated energy company (formerly UPC Wind) develops,...