This employment opportunity is in Correctional Rehabilitative Services at the Oregon State Correctional Institution in Salem. This recruitment will be used to establish a list of qualified candidates.
This position is represented by American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Duties & Responsibilities
This position provides program assessment, design, coordination and implementation of a wide variety of pro-social, cultural, physical, and transition activities for inmates within the institution. Major duties:
- is responsible for all program assessment, design, coordination and implementation of a wide variety of social, cultural, and transition activities for each club program; submits all purchase orders; reviews and maintains club accounts; attends administrative club president's meetings and monthly recreational staff meetings; submits monthly reports on all programs of responsibility, current club accounts, statistics, concerns and program outcomes; establishes a curriculum of instruction for inmate proposals and for community volunteers involved in activities and programs; obtains necessary clearances for custody status of participants in programs; provides instruction and direction to community volunteers, contractors and vendors; is responsible to assign and supervise inmate work crews in the daily maintenance of all recreation areas of responsibility and equipment; is responsible for operation of Intramural and functions as a relief for Hobby Shop supervisor;
- accesses the canteen Tag System; operates the Inmate Photo Database; monitors kites; orders supplies; processes purchase requests; works with multiple outside vendors;
- maintains, monitors and tracks the Inmate Indigent Radio Program; operates the AS-400 system; places inmates on call outs; orders supplies and processes purchase requests to maintain radio stocks;
- obtains necessary clearances for equipment required for club functions; performs, maintains, and coordinates with security staff on routine inspection of recreation areas, equipment, tools, and key control; provides visual monitoring of inmate movements; requests Law Enforcement Data System checks on all outside volunteers; trains volunteers involved in specific cultural/ethnic programs and activities; and
- attends training as required.
Qualifications & Desired Attributes
Your application materials will be reviewed to verify that you:
A photocopy of your transcripts must be submitted to receive credit for your Bachelor’s degree.
- have three years of experience assessing, developing, coordinating, and implementing recreational programs and leisure time activities; OR
- a Bachelor’s degree in Recreational Management, Physical Education or a related field.
In the "Work Experience " section of your electronic application, clearly describe your experience as it relates to these qualifications. Failure to provide this information may result in eliminating your application from further consideration. A resume' will not replace the "Work Experience " section of the application.
You must have a valid e-mail address to apply for jobs with the State of Oregon.
All communication regarding your application and status are done by e-mail. If you do not currently have an e-mail address and do not know where to go to get one, please refer to our Applicant E-Recruit FAQ's web page. Click on the link below to go directly to question #14 to view several internet providers where you can get a free e-mail account. The State of Oregon does not endorse any particular provider.
Applicant E-Recruit FAQ's
Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure to answer all supplemental questions and attach required documents to your electronic application.
If you have application login problems, get an error message during the application process, or are experiencing other technical (computer related) difficulties, please call the NEOGOV help line for assistance at 1-877-204-4442 .
Pay and benefits on all announcements may change without notice. For budgetary reasons, the State of Oregon requires employees to take unpaid furlough days during the 2011-2013 biennium. The incumbent to this position may be required to take a prorated number of unpaid furlough days during the biennium, depending on the number of furlough days established and the date of hire.
This position may be eligible for Police & Fire (P&F) benefits through Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), as defined by statute .
The Department of Corrections does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Justice Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
Application Reference Number: DOC13-0342OC
The successful candidate to this position will be subject to a Criminal Records Check.
Veterans Preference Information
Employee Benefits with the Department of Corrections
Learn more about the Oregon Accountability Model
Visit www.odocjobs.com Recruitment Web Page
Oregon Prisons Map with links to each Facility
Questions may be emailed to
Oregon Department of Corrections
ATTN: Rhonda Crawford
- State Directories
- Agencies A to Z
- Oregon Administrative Rules
- Oregon Revised Statutes
- About Oregon.gov
Web Site Links
State of Oregon
- 2 years ago - save job