The Cost Engineer position will manage or develop, monitor and analyze project cost estimates, expenditures, forecasts and schedules. This position requires technical knowledge of the construction work involved and the ability to use cost estimating methods and a general knowledge of CPM scheduling techniques and associated software. This position requires a bachelor’s degree and five (5) or more year’s experience in the cost engineering field or in a related area including construction field engineering, contracting, claims and other industries relating to cost.
This position requires the candidate to be familiar with a variety of engineering and construction concepts, practices and procedures such as civil, mechanical, or electrical, etc. and a familiarity with one or more additional disciplines. The candidate should have the ability to learn detailed scheduling techniques and to learn scheduling software. This position requires the ability to rely on experience and judgment to plan and implement, or delegate, tasks to accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity is expected of this position in order to perform a variety of complicated tasks. The cost engineer typically reports to a discipline supervisor or cost engineering manager.
- Develop the Work Breakdown Structure to be used for a project.
- Develop a wide range of estimates from conceptual to definitive, including change control, in both commercial and government environments.
- Develop the estimate / work plan and assign responsibilities for specific tasks.
- Implement a Quality Control procedure to assure estimate accuracy.
- Develop the final estimate report and transmittal.
- Develop and implement project cost control measures.
- Implement estimate preparation cost control measures.
- Travel may be extensive depending on the clients’ needs.
Other Job Information:
- Hold an appropriate 4-year college degree and have 5 + year’s cost engineering experience.
- Attain the AACE’s CCE or CCC certification within first year of employment.
- Author two acceptable PT&C technical mini-papers. (Optional)
- Demonstrate intermediate computer skills in an MS Windows environment using word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Demonstrate comprehensive proficiency using cost engineering tools and methods, including cost estimating software.
- The ability to work autonomously or on a team.
- Ability to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to sit, talk and hear
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 5 pounds
Project Time & Cost, Inc. - 2 years ago