The Office of Councilmember Kansen Chu (District 4) is recruiting for a full-time Council Assistant I/II. Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, the position provides services in connection with policy analysis, research, communications, event planning, community outreach, and other related matters as needed and requested.
The position requires an employee with strong and effective organizational skills; ability to handle multiple assignments; excellent written and oral communications skills, and the ability to develop and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with community members and neighborhood organizations, key stakeholders, and City staff. The employee will serve as a liaison to Councilmember Chu and will regularly represent the Council Member at City-related meetings and functions.
Candidates must be willing to work frequent evenings and weekends, and as exempt management employees, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
Employees in this classification are not members of the classified civil service and are appointed "at wil." Each appointment is for a specified period of time to be determined by the appointing Council Member and does not extend past the end of the elected official's or appointing authority's term. This unclassified position requires a disclosure of outside investments, real property interest, income, and business positions.
The Council Assistant I/II will be primarily responsible for the following tasks:
- Gathering background information relative to issues pending before the City Council
- Analyzing a wide variety of materials on assigned projects, programs, and topics
- Preparation or assisting in preparation of speeches, articles, or other communications for the Council Member
- Responding to constituent inquiries and issues, resolving complaints, and interpreting operating policies for residents of the community and other interested parties
- Attending and representing the Council Member at City-related meetings and activities, meeting with governmental agencies, private industry, and related meetings
- Coordinating arrangements for community meetings, events, and programs
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required
Any combination of training and experience equivalent that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to advice the Council Member on matters of public policy, democratic processes, constituent service or citizen involvement.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the most desirable combination of training, skills, and experience, which will allow him or her to serve as a member of the District 4 Team. Desirable experience, knowledge and skills for this position include:
- A BA/BS in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Communications, or closely related field is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Public Administration; management, and administrative methods; budgeting, land use, house, transportation, public relations, customer/constituent relations, etc.
- Previous experience working for a councilmember or elected official.
- Bilingual skills are highly desirable.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, or equivalent.
- Website management skills are highly desirable.
- Familiarity and knowledge of District 4/East Side community will be an asset to the office.
- Ability to effectively plan workflow and manage multiple projects to deliver quality products in a timely manner evidenced by through strong organizational, administration, and management skills.
- Ability to express themselves clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing (email, letters, report writing and editing).
- Skill in research techniques and applications - collecting, compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Strong work ethic, professionalism, flexibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others and facilitate groups to achieve common objectives; understand and identify key issues and make recommendations in complex situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others and to provide excellent service to internal and external customers, stakeholders and colleagues.
- Ability to present yourself in a professional and effective manner.
- Ability to work in a team environment and work as an effective team contributor.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently, prioritize work, and independently manage multiple, diverse, and competing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Possess a CA driver's license.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume, and answers to the job-specific questions. YOU MUST ANSWER ALL JOB-SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND COMPLETE THE EDUCATION/WORK HISTORY SECTION OF THE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY OR YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE DEEMED INCOMPLETE AND WITHHELD FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be forwarded to the interview phase of the selection process. This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The job specific questions you will be prompted to answer in the application process include:
1. Do you possess a Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Public Administration, Government or Business Administration or a closely related field from an accredited college or university? If yes, please specify your major and list the related courses that you completed for your major that are relevant to this position. If no, please specify how your education, training and experience meet the minimum and desirable qualifications for this position.
2. Do you possess bilingual language skills? If yes, please specify the language(s) that you are fluent in and whether or not you are fluent in both oral and written skills.
3. Do you have experience in public administration; public policy and/or government? If yes, please describe your experience, including the positions held and your specific role and responsibilities. If No, please describe your transferable experience, knowledge, skills or abilities that would enable you to fulfill these duties.
4. Do you have any experience in transportation, housing, and land-use related policy work? If yes, please describe your experiences, role and responsibilities which are relevant to this position.
5. Do you have any experience with HTML, websites, newsletters, and other computer programs you believe would be relevant to this position? If yes, please describe your experience. If no, please describe any relevant experience that may be applicable.
6. Do you have experience managing multiple work assignments and projects? If yes, please describe your work style and the techniques you use to manage your responsibilities and your desk. If no, please describe your transferable experience, knowledge, skills or abilities that would enable you to meet this required job skill and competency.
7. Do you have experience in working effectively in a team environment, including working with employees at all levels of the organization and the public? If so, please describe a specific example of a successful team experience, your role and responsibilities, and the techniques you used to develop and maintain excellent working relationships, which resulted in the timely and effective delivery of a project, product, or service. If no, please describe your transferable experience, knowledge, skills or abilities that would enable you to fulfill these duties.
8. Do you have experience preparing and writing a variety of written documents such as policy briefing papers, recommendations, correspondence and/or talking points? Please give an example(s) of your experience in preparing and writing these types of documents.
If you have questions regarding the duties of this position, the recruitment, selection, or hiring process, please contact Cecilia McDaniel, Deputy City Clerk at 408-535-1263 or by email at email@example.com
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
This classification is part of Executive Management (MGT).
City of San Jose - 30+ days ago
copy to clipboard -