UW-Green Bay is currently accepting applications to fill future Custodian vacancies for full and/or part-time first, second, and/or third shift positions that may occur between March 1, 2013 and June 30, 2013.
February 1, 2013
Duties and Responsibilities:
Custodians maintain the overall appearance and cleanliness of their designated work areas. Work performed includes manual cleaning of UWGB buildings. General areas of responsibility include: chemically cleaning restrooms, hallways, and classrooms; maintaining all floor surfaces including mopping, buffing, vacuuming, shampooing, and finishing; cleaning windows (inside and outside); cleaning furniture; assisting with room setup as required; stocking restrooms and custodial work areas with necessary supplies and products; waste and recycling removal; and snow removal and salting of building entrances. Candidates applying for Custodial positions should have demonstrated commitment to or experience with diverse populations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Physical strength and stamina to perform required work, including the ability to routinely lift and carry up to 50 pounds and the ability to be on your feet for an entire 8 hour shift, and shovel snow.
- Ability to push, pull, reach, bend, twist, stoop, kneel, move furniture, perform repetitive motions, overhead work, frequent stair and ladder climbing.
- Ability to carry out multiple work assignments and be able to adhere to and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to operate cleaning equipment such as a vacuum cleaner or a floor scrubber.
- Knowledge of basic safety precautions including the safe and proper use of toxic chemicals, and knowledge of heavy lifting methods to ensure safety.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups and have good interpersonal skills in order to relate to co-workers, students, faculty and staff, and supervisors.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must have the ability to maintain high standards of cleanliness.
- Be able to tolerate temperature extremes when performing snow removal activities.
Conditions of Appointment:
Employment will require a criminal background check. A pending criminal charge or conviction will not necessarily disqualify an applicant. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the university does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. A physical pre-screen assessment is required prior to appointment. A six-month probationary period is required. Custodians are required to have the ability to meet University driving standards to be able to drive a State vehicle and travel between work locations as needed.
The starting hourly wage for Custodian positions is $11.284. The UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State Retirement plan ( Total Compensation Estimator ).