PRIMARY DUTIES (Essential Functions)
Responsibilities - Non-essential Functions
- Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and procedures.
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets, trash, and recycling containers; empty and clean ash trays and cigarette urns; replace light bulbs using an 8 ft ladder if necessary; refill restroom dispensers.
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.
- Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
- Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas within twenty five feet of buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds. Launder cleaning rags and dust mops.
- Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products, and working relationships.
- Handle recycling materials.
- Call, email, or use internet to request work orders to customer service.
- Assist with inventory control and security.
- Safely operate all vehicles and other job related equipment which requires a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Support and enforce all policies, university and governmental, OSHA/MIOSHA rules, university health and safety regulations and guidelines, etc.
- Enforce and support policies established by the Assistant Vice President of Facilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Education
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Attend to emergencies when necessary.
- Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
- Assist in the instruction and supervision of student help.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are respresentative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to work any shift or day of the week.
- Satisfactory work performance and attendance record.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work well with others and maintain positive customer service.
- Ability to follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies and use as directed.
- Have essential physical capabilities in the following: Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, bend, twist, reach as needed, and climb ladders up to 8 ft.
- Have mental capabilities to maintain interpersonal skills, memory, attention to detail, follow directions, comprehension, calculating, reading, writing, speaking, evaluating, mathematics, organizing and innovation.
- Must have a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
Preferred Qualifications and Education
- Experience in commercial/institutional cleaning.
(For Hourly Staff Only)
Grade 1 ($12.38 )
(For AP/Faculty Only)
Date Position will Post to the Web
Application Deadline Info
How To Apply
Click "Apply to this Posting" The online system will allow you to attach a cover letter and resume. If you need assistance or have questions, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Full-Time 12 month
Grand Valley State University - 15 months ago