Custodian – Recreation Center
Park and Recreation Department
The City of Rochester, Minnesota (pop. 106,000) Park and Recreation Department provides a variety of leisure time opportunities for people to enjoy and manages more than 3500 acres of park land including over 100 individual parks and 85 miles of paved trails. The Recreation Center maintains indoor ice playing surfaces and swimming facilities year-round.
"Providing traditional, innovative, and affordable quality services (activities, programs, and facilities) for Rochester's citizens and visitors."
Nature of Work:
This is a custodial position responsible for the daily cleaning and maintenance of the Rochester Recreation Center. Responsibilities include general custodial duties, maintenance of swimming pool and ice rink areas and performing other related duties as required.
Most work is performed independently under the general supervision.
2012 starting rate is $19.15 an hour with advancement to $21.28.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
*Perform general custodial duties, building maintenance, and minor maintenance and repair of equipment.
• Sweep, mop and wax floors, corridors, halls, and stairways; clean restrooms, meeting rooms and offices; clean drinking fountains; empty trash receptacles; clean risers and seats; hang curtains and drapes; dust woodwork, chairs and other furniture; vacuum and shampoo carpeting and rugs
• Wash and clean windows, polish furniture, remove rubbish and waste paper from building and grounds
• Monitor cleanliness of facilities during events and perform custodial duties as needed.
• Restock rest rooms with appropriate supplies, monitor inventory and assist in ordering supplies
• Operate and use a variety of equipment and tools in performing custodial duties including scrubber, buffer, forklift, vacuum, blowers, carpet cleaner, and hand tools
• Perform minor maintenance on a variety of objects including window replacement, repair of locks, painting, replacement of electrical or plumbing fixtures, changing of light bulbs, etc.
• Sweep sidewalks, shovel snow, and perform other maintenance of building grounds
• Ensure that equipment such as pumps, heating and cooling units and ventilation equipment are maintained and functioning
*Maintain swimming pool areas.
• Wash down and sanitize pool deck, vacuum pool, and polish chrome
• Inspect pool safety equipment on a daily basis
• Take daily pool water readings and record information as required by the County Health Department
• Clean pool filtration room and equipment
• Change chlorine tanks when required
• Clean dressing room areas
*Maintain ice rink areas.
• Perform daily maintenance on ice surface according to prescribed standards by edging, shaving, flooding, and maintaining proper ice thickness
• Take readings of ice refrigeration equipment and record information
• Perform minor repair to boards and plexiglass barriers
• Clean dressing room areas
*Prepares facilities for scheduled events.
• Arrange tables, chairs and equipment for various events
• Load and unload equipment
• Set-up and strike bleachers; remove portable seating and reinstall seating
• Perform other duties as assigned or necessary
• Serve as a lead worker and monitor the work of part-time custodians
Education and Experience
A high school diploma or equivalent and two (2) years experience in custodial or building maintenance.
Licenses and/or Certifications
Valid driver's license.
NSPF (National Swimming Pool Foundation) Certified Pool Operator (CPO) , or obtain within one (1) year of hire.
Building Utilities Maintenance (B.U.M.) certificate or two (2) year vocational training in building maintenance.
Class "C" Boilers License for the operation of low pressure boilers.
STAR (Serving The American Rinks) Certified Ice Technician (CIT) , or completion of any of the CIT courses.
Two (2) years of experience operating an ice resurfacing machine.
*THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY THE CITY'S RESPIRATORY PROTECTION PROGRAM
Employees in this position are required to use respiratory equipment and the City of Rochester will conform to all State and Federal requirements in administering this program.
*Pre-employment and/or periodic testing may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of: equipment operations and maintenance techniques; building cleaning practices, supplies, and equipment; basic building maintenance practices.
Skill in: the use of tools and materials commonly used in building cleaning, maintenance and repair activities and minor construction projects.
Ability to: perform minor maintenance tasks in the field of carpentry, painting, plumbing and electricity; deal tactfully with the general public; understand and effectively carry out oral and written assignments; operate and maintain ice resurfacing equipment.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CRITERIA
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
This position requires the majority of the work day spent either standing or walking.
Some lifting and carrying is required with weights of objects ranging from ten (10) to (50) pounds and occasionally up to one hundred (100) pounds.
Climbing of stairs, bleachers, and other objects is often required along with movements such as bending, twisting, and kneeling.
Good sensory skills are important (sight, hearing and speech) as well as the ability to operate assorted types of machinery/equipment.
Exposure to heat, cold, dust, fumes and noise.
City of Rochester, MN - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard -
City of Rochester, MN
City of Rochester, MN
- 2 days ago