Job Title: Customer Service Representative (Associate) Level - I
Reports To: Customer Service Supervisor
Department: Customer Service
Location: Patient Business Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Customer Service Representative – Level 1 is responsible for handling customer telephone calls, both incoming and out-going. Incumbent is responsible for establishing the means by which an account will be paid, by either billing the patient, a third party payor (insurance), or recommending the account be assigned to an outside collection agency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer incoming customer service telephone calls and take appropriate action to resolve accounts.
- Answer questions, process information obtained from patients and process customer complaints by giving information to the appropriate person.
- Review and process customer accounts within the JAGUAR Accounts Receivable Billing System.
- Input information obtained and enters notes relating to an account into Accounts Receivable Billing System, as needed.
- Edit and release accounts for billing.
- Call insurance company or third party to obtain billing information and/or to check claim status or eligibility.
- Resolve past-due or delinquent accounts (collections).
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Adhere to and comply with information systems security. Know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures. Attend Information Systems security training, when offered. Report information systems security problems.
- Work in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation.
- Convey a sense of competence and commitment.
- Use initiative to learn new skills, enhance personal knowledge and improve communications.
- Demonstrate an ability to work well with team members.
- Communicate a willingness to help others succeed.
- Share workspace and resources as necessary.
- Pass and sustain new-hire and department-specific testing, (e.g. data entry and department-specific aptitude test).
- Be flexible with shifting daily priorities.
- Meet deadlines working within tight time constraints.
- Handle a large volume of work and telephone calls.
- Meet or exceed all established standards for productivity and quality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education/Licensing/Certification: High School Diploma or GED required
Experience: Six (6) months prior customer service work experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Medical transportation processes.
- Language and terminology on a PCR, Hospital Face Sheet, and/or a CAD Sheet.
- Medical and insurance terminology.
- Understand the process of signature and paperwork compliance.
- Payor-specific requirements for all geographical areas and financial classes.
- Definitions of and distinctions between ALS/BLS/SCT/CCT/Wheelchair levels of service.
- ICD-9 coding/condition codes and procedure codes.
- HIPAA requirements. Internet tools, (e.g. Internet mapping programs, eligibility websites, address search engines, credit card processing programs).
- Proficiency in the JAGUAR Accounts Receivable Billing System.
- Communicate effectively, (both orally and in writing) in English.
- Effectively handle complex customer issues.
- Handle emotional callers with sensitivity and provide calming and objective resolutions.
EmCare - 12 months ago