PURPOSE OF JOB:|
Under general guidance of Manager, this position is responsible for leading and supervising a team of staff at multiple levels. Responsibilities can include assisting customers in locating and using Library materials and equipment, informing customers about Library services, policies and procedures, and developing and executing Library programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Leads multiple levels of staff in completing essential duties of library operations including reference, circulation, and/or programming.
2. Sets individual performance measurements for staff and holds them accountable. Responsibilities include coaching, managing, hiring, orienting and evaluating assigned team.
3. Assists with problem solving at local level.
4. Assumes responsibility for the operation of the location in the absence of a manager.
5. Train staff to perform job duties and tasks including applying and intepreting policies, procedures, and best practices.
6. Train staff on use and troubleshooting of Library technologies and equipment.
7. Prepares and manages budgets as assigned.
8. Organizes and schedules team and its activities. Identifies opportunities for synergy and integration.
9. Coordinates volunteers as assigned.
10. Serves as supporting authority to staff in resolving customer disputes.
11. Utilizes computer applications and library equipment maintains current knowledge of system wide and location specific procedures, processes, policies, and operations. Utilizes email and voicemail to maintain open channels of communication.
12. Performs other duties as assigned including serving on task forces, committees, etc.
Interaction with staff, customers, agencies or vendors.
1. Master's of Library Science Degree from an ALA accredited institution of higher learning and 2 years related experience, or Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with 5 years related experience, preferably in management or customer service.
2. Ability to communicate effectively.
3. Familiarity with MS Office products.
4. Keyboarding/windows proficiency.
5. Ability to operate library technology systems, including personal computer, software programs and other job related equipment.
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
1. Ability to set clear objectives and measure and monitor process, progress and results, including fiscal control. (Managing and Measuring Work)
2. Experience in training others.
3. Management and supervisory experience.
4. Gathers information from appropriate sources and makes a decision. Considers data, analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment in making sound decisions. (Decision Quality)
5. Communicates clearly in establishing directions and feedback to others on work and results. Plans and distributes work well. (Directing Others)
6. Addresses and resolves conflict equitably, seeking common ground and cooperation when possible. Skilled at reading situations quickly and focusing attention to gain understanding of conflict situations. (Conflict Management)
7. Adept at process management; knows how to organize people and activities. Can simplify complex processes, see opportunities for synergy and integration and apply appropriately to get more out of fewer resources. (Process Management)
8. Can inspire and motivate entire units of the organization, ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision as well as a sense of purpose. (Managing Vision and Purpose)
9. Skilled at judging which ideas and suggestions will work and bringing them to market. Can manage the creative processes of others. (Innovation Management)
10. Acts with the customer in mind using information gained from interacting with the customers. Meets the expectations and requirements of external and internal customers. (Customer Focus)
COMPUTER/TECHNOLOGY SKILLS/EQUIPMENT/SOFTWARE SKILLS:
The following is the common technology used in this position and is not all inclusive.
GroupWise, Data Entry, Electronic Resources, ILS, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Intranet (CMLsi), Internet (www.Columbuslibrary.org), IFAS, Laptop With LCD Projector or other CML Related Software Applications.
Hires, trains, and evaluates staff as assigned.
Frequency of travel: Occasional.
Driver license and personal vehicle.
Nature of work requires an ability to effectively communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents operating standard business office equipment. Occasional travel by automobile is required for position responsibilities and/or training. Manual dexterity and physical ability to perform tasks. (i.e. repeated lifting, continual standing, reaching, bending, and walking).
Majority of the work performed in a general office/library environment. Requires availability for extended or nontraditional hours as needed to perform job duties. Requires periodic participation and attendance at related library events and training.
The information in this summary indicates the general nature and level of work performed within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
Copyright 1996, 1998, 2000, 20022004 by Robert W. Eichinger and Michael M. Lombardo. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This work is derived from the FYI FOR YOUR IMPROVEMENT? A Development and Coaching Guide, Fourth Edition, developed and copyrighted by Robert W. Eichinger and Michael M. Lombardo for Lominger Limited, Inc. Without the prior written permission of Lominger Limited, Inc., no part of this work may be used, reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means by or to any party outside of Columbus Metropolitan Library, except as required by law.
Columbus Metropolitan Library - 18 months ago