Investigates and resolves software and hardware problems of computer users at a technical and/or application level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Education and Training
- Answers, evaluates, and prioritizes incoming telephone, voice mail, e-mail, and in-person requests for assistance from customers experiencing problems with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies.
- Interviews customer to collect information about problem and leads customer through diagnostic procedures to determine source of error or problem.
- Handles problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution and follow-up for routine customer problems; refers more complex problems to supervisor or appropriate specialist.
- Logs and tracks calls using problem management database, and maintains history records and related problem documentation.
- Submits recommendations of hardware and software product enhancements to reduce help line incident rate.
- Documents and consults with software test personnel to explain software errors. Performs proactive customer calls.
- Writes or revises technical customer reference manuals and procedures.
- Develops on-line training materials.
- Train customers, as needed, on software and hardware on-site or in classroom.
- Install and maintain support computers, software, and peripheral equipment used in the department.
- Acquire and maintain working knowledge of all supported products as they evolve.
- Become a product specialist on at least one product.
- Perform emergency customer trips as needed.
- Other duties and developmental opportunities as assigned
Skills, Experience and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Meteorology preferred
- Computer certifications (Example: MCSE, A+, Network +, etc.) preferred
- Fundamental knowledge of computer hardware and networking protocols
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
- Previous experience in a Help Desk environment preferred
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Weather Central product knowledge preferred
- Microsoft Office Products experience required
- Self-directed and able to work independently
- Work from written and verbal instructions
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Ability/desire to work on sometimes tedious tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working with variety of people—customer, programmers, sales, product managers
- Ability to work holidays, On-Call, and On-Call Backup shift on a rotation basis.
- Fast paced, large, open office environment
- Able to sit for long periods of time and view computer monitor
- Infrequent travel as needed to meet customer emergencies
The company enjoys a great casual work environment, offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, and the opportunity to be a part of a highly skilled, motivated, and talented team. We are an equal opportunity employer and value the diversity of all our employees.
Please, email your resume, cover letter, salary expectations to email@example.com . Please, put code: CSS- 25 in the subject line.
Weather Central, LP
401 Charmany Drive
Madison, Wisconsin 53719
WSI Corporation - 18 months ago