Oversee the daily operations of the Handwerker Gallery and manage and host exhibition openings, receptions, and other events. Coordinate marketing efforts to include preparing press releases, interdepartmental communications, designing posters and utilizing social media outlets. Serve as primary liaison to College departments, staff, student groups, faculty and other community groups regarding exhibitions and programming; organize class visits and group tours and ensure the gallery and its collection is available to classes and visitors. Supervisor and train student monitors and establish work schedules.
1. Supervise the daily operations of the Handwerker Gallery to include supervising and training student monitors and establishing work schedules.
2. Develop and execute public events and speaker series during the academic year; develop relationships with speakers and develop publicity for the events; coordinate with the Office of Facilities, Conference and Event Services, and hosts of the event to ensure venue is setup and program logistics are complete.
3. Assist with exhibition preparation to include ensuring didactic materials, research, and catalogues are complete, and installation and striking for four to six exhibitions. Prepare labels, contracts, and condition report documents for the exhibitions.
4. Work with the Marketing Communications Manager to coordinate marketing efforts to include preparing and submitting Intercom announcements, press releases, interdepartmental communications, event poster design, social media and managing the website.
5. Contact Ithaca College departments, staff, student groups, faculty as well as other interested community groups regarding exhibitions and programming; schedule class visits and gallery tours , lead tours, develop materials, and make the gallery and its collections available to classes and supervised visits. Serve as site supervisor for selected internships.
6. Serve as site supervisor and assist in organizing the senior class show; assist with labels, panels and signage, publicity, and arrangements for the reception. Communicate with student artist, department chairperson(s) and faculty sponsors; assist with preparation of illustrated exhibition catalog, receipt of work, designing of show, installation, and oversight of collection of work after graduation.
7. Oversee logistical arrangements for and host exhibition openings, receptions by the Humanities & Sciences Dean’s office and others; develop programming and serve as liaison with musicians, catering, facilities services and conferences and events.
8. Respond to day-to-day inquires from campus constituents and the public; provide access to facilities department and others as needed.
9. Assist with ordering of routine supplies; make arrangements for guest speaker travel and accommodations; assist the director in processing of E-Z payments, purchase orders, and honoraria.
10. Work with and maintain the Handwerker Gallery and Ithaca College permanent collection. Take responsibility for and supervise student use of PastPerfect objects database. Oversee research on and archival storage of permanent collection.
11. Work closely with the Art History faculty, particularly the Museum Studies position.
12. Responsible for understanding and maintaining the budget for the Handwerker Gallery.
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
Masters degree in Art History, Museum Studies, Fine Arts, Museum Education or related field or relevant experience in a gallery, museum or art education setting; experience with operational aspects of gallery management, publicity, scheduling, installation, and programming; excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks, work independently and meet deadlines; strong and effective verbal and written communication skills and computer competency are required.
The Handwerker Gallery is located in Gannett Center on the Ithaca College campus. The 2,500-square-foot space accommodates 4 to 6 exhibitions per year, and houses a permanent collection of approximately 2,000 objects. The gallery serves the Ithaca College community through exhibitions, internships, and visits. The Handwerker Gallery maintains an active program of arts events throughout the academic year, including guest speakers, films, readings, academic lectures, and music and drama performances.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants should apply online at apply.icjobs.org and attach a cover letter, resume, and a list containing the contact information for at least three professional references. Questions about the online application process should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at 607-274-8000. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position has been filled.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Ithaca College - 14 months ago