First Wind is an independent wind energy company exclusively focused on the development, financing, construction, ownership and operation of utility-scale wind energy projects in the United States. Based in Boston, First Wind has developed and currently operates wind energy projects in the Northeast, the West and Hawaii. First Wind is committed to the communities it works with to achieve the most efficient and economic wind generation projects in North America.
First Wind is expanding its Data Analysis capabilities through the deployment of new business intelligence tools and the creation of a new department tasked with the analysis of operational data to optimize performance of our assets. The Data Analyst position is for detail oriented individuals who are self-motivated and have a passion for analyzing data with objectivity and impartiality.
The Data Analyst should be able to reduce complex data sets to charts, graphs and tables which can be understood by a non-technical audience without losing the detail required for management level decisions. As well as solving problems logically the Data Analyst will be required to think creatively, propose innovative solutions to problems and help improve the operational efficiency of our assets. The Data Analyst should have a good understanding of the concept of uncertainty in scientific measurements and calculations and be able to express such concepts to a non-technical audience when presenting results.
As well as creating ad-hoc reports as necessary, the Data Analyst will be required to automate standardized reports for use by other departments in the company, primarily using Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). The Data Analyst will also be required to create tools to expose our operating data for ad-hoc analysis, primarily using Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS). Additionally the Data Analyst will be required to implement real-time condition based monitoring and alerting systems, primarily using the OSISoft PI data historian system.
The Data Analyst should be able to review technical standards (e.g. ISO, ANSI, IEEE), research papers and technical documentation, and identify and apply the relevant procedures to the task at hand. The Data Analyst should be willing to develop knowledge of and implement best practice procedures from throughout the international wind energy industry. The position will be instrumental in providing analysis and engineering support for commercial decisions related to asset management and operations.
The Data Analyst should have a good sense for data quality and be able to design procedures to validate and quality control data, and be comfortable producing reports under document control and peer review systems. The Data Analyst should be comfortable interacting with data in a variety of formats, including SQL and PI data, and writing scripts and programs to process such data. The Data Analyst should be highly competent with Microsoft Office with a focus on Excel, and should be prepared for a wide variety of analysis requests and respond to unexpected challenges with a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Perform analysis of operational data as required in response to the needs of the organization. Such analysis may include cost/benefit assessments, risk and probability assessments, complex power system data analysis, wind resource analysis, acoustical analysis, root cause analysis, loss factor analysis, parameter validation, power performance assessments, availability metrics, and variable correlation. Flexibility in approach and methodology will be required.
- Create and present ad-hoc reports to other individuals within the company with the results of analysis performed. Good presentation skills and attention to detail will be essential.
- Design and develop data analysis and reporting solutions with SQL databases, including use of Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
- Design and develop real-time monitoring solutions with PI data, including use of Processbook, Advanced Computing Engine (ACE) and WebParts.
- Create and maintain programs and scripts, in SQL and other languages, for data analysis and quality control of data.
- 1-3 years of experience in an Analyst or Engineering position focused on data analysis, database management and reporting. Highly proficient with Excel and SQL.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, Applied Math, Computer Science, Information Science, or related discipline required.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, including SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) desired.
- Knowledge of OSI Soft PI Systems and/or SCADA systems desired. Experience in power, energy, or substation control systems strongly preferred. Experience in analysis of metrological data strongly preferred.
- Proficient in a high-level programming language applicable to data analysis, including but not limited to C/C#/C++, Java, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Matlab.
- Excellent attention to detail and presentation skills. Highly proficient with Microsoft Office with a focus on Excel.
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills, ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Good root cause analysis capabilities.
- Able to effectively manage time and prioritize projects in order to meet established deadlines.
First Wind - 17 months ago
At First Wind, wind is the first and last item in its business model. The vertically integrated energy company (formerly UPC Wind) develops,...